Chapter 8

You were cut out of your day dreaming when cold water jetted against your body from the shower head you were standing under.

Two days had gone by since you nearly passed out from the gift you had recieved.

Ever since then, there was this fear, actual fear of stepping a foot into what should have been your safe haven that now felt like the opposite.

Hallie had noticed your strange behaviour even though you hadn't told her about the photographs. It was written all over your face that something was gnawing away at you, especially considering your appetite was basically non-existent anymore.

You hated people fretting over you. It made you feel like a burden, and you didn't want to put others up with your problems.

You heaved out a breath that felt like it had been punched straight out of your chest, the moisture in your eyes brimming at the edges and threatening to spill over washed away by the running water coming from above.

More than anything did you want to take the words you'd spoken to Derek back, but even a pure intention like that was a selfish one.

You didn't want him to die.

You didn't want more people to die because of you.

After taking your sweet time in the shower, drying yourself and throwing on some clothes, you stepped back into your ever so messy shared room.

Daylight was fighting its way through the curtains that you swiftly pushed to the sides. Hallie's bed was empty since you woke up later, having no class to attend to until later in the day.

Having her not with you made you realize just how few people you had to talk to.

Hallie, Mickey and Joel were probably your closest friends right now. You couldn't bring yourself to face Derek and you didn't want to depend on Altieri keeping you company necause you knew he'd be getting the wrong ideas.

The two cops tailing you weren't the most sociable people to be around with and Dewey—

Speaking of Dewey, you hadn't seen him around much lately.

Before you could give him any more thought, two steady knocks coming from the other side of the door startled you and nearly made you react like a confused cat.

"Miss (L/N)? There's someone here to see you."

After telling the officer to let whoever it was in, you were surprised to see Mickey standing in the doorway with a bag in his hands and a huge, bright smile as he greeted you.

"Heya, sugar."

Sugar?

You squinted your eyes at him. "What are you doing here this early?"

He let himself inside, taking in the details of the room as if it was the first time he hsd been there, before he put the bag on Hallie's bed and flashed you the contents in it.

Some games, drinks and movies.

This made you all the more suspicious because Mickey had been awfully nice to you lately.

He seemed to guess exactly what you were thinking. "Don't look at me like that. It's not sexy."

"You didn't answer my question," you firmly told him, folding your arms as you dismissed his comment. "Hallie's not here if you're looking for her."

"Actually," he grinned, giggling with his tongue pinched between his teeth. "I'm here for you."

Your eyes widened when he showed you one particular game, one you really loved. Mickey sat himself on the ground and without invitation, started packing out.