Chapter 15

Unfortunately, life doesn't hit pause just because you're having a hard time.

Now that your feelings had been knocked out of you from hitting the floor the way you did, you were finding it difficult to breathe.

As soon as Gale and yourself had blasted out of the theatre, the first thing she did was call the police.

You felt like you were going to throw up the more minutes passed, half expecting to see the Derek or Hallie pop out of the darkness to murder you both in cold blood.

But they didn't.

It took five minutes for the authorities to arrive at the scene at the same time that the sun was rising.

You were taken to the hospital to treat your injuries, same thing with Gale Weathers.

Hours after the whole ordeal was over, sirens still took up all the silence around the campus. There wasn't a single moment to listen to quiet skies, just wailing and people scurrying around.

You were irritated by it.

All you could think of was death.

Hell, all you could see was death.

There were so many bodies recovered, Derek's and Hallie's included.

Apperently, Derek had been found torn from limb to limb while Hallie was stabbed beyond recognition with a bullet hole to her head and a gun laying next to her body, so they wrote it up as suicide and that was the end of it.

But oh, you knew better.

As fucked up as it was, when you went to the police station the same day to give the cops your statement, you kept your mouth shut about the person who essentially saved your life and was undoubtedly responsible for Derek and Hallie's deaths.

And if the brutality in which they were killed was anything to go off of, it wasn't hard to guess that the person was probably pissed or just felt extremely knife-happy.

Bits and pieces started to click together like puzzle pieces. The guy on the phone, the photos in your room.

The severity of the situation wasn't lost on you. If the boys really were back, you knew you'd be in for a big treat.

Everything that had happened in these last three weeks, every disastrous low there has been was one you had to work through slowly, like any person would after being traumatized.

It was a grueling slow process but hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

The next day was completely out of sync with your mood. Cloudless, warm and sunny without a breeze of wind.

You watched the sun lowering in the sky and smearing its warm colours along the horizon with its rays, lapping at your ice cream bar to stay ahead of its melting in the warm evening air.

Just then, you got a call from your parents. They sounded urgent and pleaded you to come visit them, to see if their baby girl was okay.

You weren't okay.

But you promised them you'd stop by tomorrow night, no matter how tired and spent you were. You needed to see them, you craved to be in their arms more than anything else in this world.

You wished you could get rid of the guilt crushing your lungs every time Randy's and Mickey's faces flashed into your mind, but you just couldn't.

By the time your ice cream was finished, you decided to head back to your dormitory room, even though your legs were so sore you could barely climb the steps.