10

It was well-known among Hyuck's friends that he was not a neat or tidy person. Really, just look at his locker.

It was like a hazard zone. And his bedroom was no better. It was, as a matter of fact, the center of his problem.

"You are so messy, it hurts," Renjun commented as he leaned on Hyuck's door frame. "Like, it actually physically hurts me."

"Shut up, Ice Princess." Hyuck tossed a pair of boxers in his direction, and Renjun shrank away in disgust.

"God, you're gross. Oi, hurry up, would you? Jae will be here any minute."

Hyuck huffed. "Look, I told you. I'm not going out tonight. I've gotta stay home and finish this essay."

Renjun threw his hands up. "You and this stupid essay! How long does it have to be?"

"I dunno! Like, a page?"

"That's not an essay, that's child's play," Renjun said scornfully. A horn sounded outside. "Look, just bring the laptop with you, we'll help you with it."

"I don't need help," Hyuck mumbled resentfully, but grabbed his laptop and followed Renjun out of the room anyway.

The white Chrysler was waiting for them when they left the house. Renjun lived across the street from Hyuck, hence their rivalry-since-birth.

Hyuck's dad gave them a passing wave through the window as they ran down the steps towards the car.

"Your dad's so cool," Jaemin commented as the two boys jumped in the back. "I wish my dad was that cool."

"Your dad is plenty cool," Hyuck said mildly. "He loses to my dad at poker games."

As they sped off downtown towards the Saber's Meu, Renjun asked where everyone else was.

"Good question," Jaemin grumbled. "Mark's on a date, I think. At least, that's what he tells me. As for Chenle-"

"Not like Chenle contributes to conversations anyway-"

"He just didn't want to come. Hey, what are we doing for Halloween this year?" Jaemin put the car into park, and turned off the engine.

"Oh, I was talking to Mark about that." Renjun hopped out the side. Hyuck, still a little queasy, followed suit. "He had a pretty good idea. Get this – classic MGM horror movie monsters."

"Huh?" Hyuck blinked in confusion. Jaemin stomped on his foot to jerk him out of his daze.

"You know," Renjun continued. "Like, Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman? He was saying he could be the Mummy, all wrapped in bandages. Chenle could be a vampire, and I'd definitely be Frankenstein."

"That's only four, dude. I'd be the Wolfman, sure, but what about Hyuck?" Jaemin gestured behind him.

"Oh. Uh, Phantom of the Opera?"

"Hey, can I be a pirate?" Hyuck asked, finally catching up. "It's close enough, right?"

They were still arguing about it when they entered the brightly-lit bar. Hyuck was making a strong case for a pirate.

"Why do you want to be one so badly?" Renjun demanded.

"Nothing," Hyuck mumbled. "I just want my hair covered."

There were several well-known things about Hyuck, such as his lack of cleanliness and general density. But there were also many few-known things about Hyuck, and one of these things was that he was actually rather strategic when he had to be.