26

Saeron dreamed she was floating.

Not flying, like usual. Just floating. There wasn't anything around her but darkness. No light, no sound.

She couldn't even see her own hands, it was so dark. And she was tired. Saeron didn't know you could be tired in a dream.

Could you possibly be so sleepy that you fell asleep in your dream?

What would happen then?

Would there be some Inception-style multilayered dream?

Was that happening to her right now, and she was just on the very bottom layer?

Was this limbo?

All the thinking made Saeron's head ache. Usually, when Saeron realized she was in a dream, her body would jolt awake.

But she had been aware of her state forㅡoh, she didn't even know how long.

She tried to clutch at her head, but her arms wouldn't listen. Sluggishly, she tried moving them, to no success.

What's happening to me? Saeron thought. 

Am I dying?

Her heart missed a beat out of fear.

Suddenly, she wasn't floating in the blackness, but falling at terminal velocity.

Then she jolted awake, jerking her knee and crashing into the store counter. A vase of roses fell on the floor and smashed.

"Saeron!" Kahi came whipping around, staring at the vase in horror. "What happened?"

"I..." Saeron trailed off, still disoriented.

What was she doing behind the counter?

Had she fallen asleep on the job?

A wave of guilt crashed over her. Kahi was still staring, demanding an explanation.

"I think I fell asleep," Saeron swallowed.

"You what?" Kahi started, but Baekho came around the corner with a broom and dustpan. He tapped his sister on the head with the broom, effectively making her quiet.

"Don't be so harsh," he said. Turning to Saeron, he narrowed his eyes. "You don't look too good."

"This is what happens when you stay awake at night texting that Lee," Kahi snapped. Saeron shook her head, still trying to make sense of things. She'd crashed early last night, and woke up with her face in her homework.

Outside the store window, it was still fairly dark out. The clock read seven AM. Saeron was doing her quick before-school shift.

But this had never happened before. Saeron was an early riser by nature. That was why she had time to run shifts before school in the first place.

Baekho was still arguing with Kahi. "Look how pale her face is," he said, pointing. "She doesn't look healthy!"

Saeron shook her head. Clearing her throat, she spoke up. "Please, I'm all right. Yeseul will be here soon, I should be ready for her."

Baekho looked like he wanted to argue further, but Kahi cut him off. "Clean this up," she told him, gesturing to the smashed vase. Then she walked away briskly, leaving Saeron and Baekho in awkward silence.

"I'm sorry," Saeron said morosely.

"Don't be." Baekho shook his head. "You should be staying home from school today."