30

Friday morning, Mia was supposed to be working before school. She had come early just so she could pick out a dress for Homecoming that night.

Mia knew there was a fresh shipment of dresses in, and she'd personally gone to have a look.

There had been one there, a deep silver one she had been particularly attracted to. Mia had planned to borrow it after her shift, and wear it tonight. Because tonight, Mia was convinced, was going to be a very special night. Tonight she was going to tell Renjun the truth.

She could almost speak like a normal person around him. And more than that – she felt comfortable around him. Still a little bit like her skin was on fire and her blood was bubbling – but comfortable nonetheless.

So tonight, she would tell him about that day at the beach in the summer. And she was going to be powerful and confident in her gray dress. That was what Mia had told herself all morning, right up to the minute Byeong called her into his office and asked her to work. Tonight.

Mia sat like a gaping fish in Byeong's little swivel chair. He kept his poker face, hands folded neatly across his stomach. "It's like I said," he continued on smoothly. "I need you to work tonight."

"But..." Mia's voice was failing her. It was a feeling she was used to, but not around Byeong. "But tonight is Homecoming!"

The manager shrugged. "I do apologize, Mia, really. But I need someone to cover these hours. And you did say you would owe me a favour, after I let you borrow all of our clothes."

Panic welled up in Mia's chest. Yes, that was true, but... "Mister please-"

"I'm sorry, Mia, but there's nothing I can do. You're working tonight and that's the final bargain."

"Please! Mia scheduled this night as unavailable; surely you can't force her to work."

Byeong leaned forward in his chair, and Mia leaned back without meaning to. "Normally, no," he said in a pleasant tone. "But you see Mia, this is different." He leaned even closer, and hissed quietly. "I know about the jacket."

Mia's heart sank. And she'd thought she had gotten away with it.

"So you see, Mia, there's really nothing else I can do for you. Now, please be on your way, and I'll see you tonight."

Mia wanted to say something else, but Byeong would no longer look at her. His eyes were fixed on his computer screen. She gulped, silently stood, and made her way out of the office.

Her hands wouldn't stop shaking as she headed to the back room. She made to change out of her uniform, but stopped. She would be right back here in six hours, anyway. Why bother changing?

So she threw her jacket overtop of the dingy blue collared shirt, and headed out of the store.

By the time she reached school, Mia had calmed down somewhat. Or at least, she had become resigned to her fate.

She wouldn't be going to the dance tonight, but that was okay. She could tell just Renjun another time. When she managed to work up all that carefully built courage again.

She slid into her seat in English class, and barely wafted through the morning. She didn't even bother taking notes. Once, she snuck a glance back at Renjun.

He was texting wildly on his phone. Several minutes later, he left to go to the bathroom, and didn't come back.

After the bell rang and Mia began gathering up her supplies, Renjun came back into the classroom with a strange look on his face.