12

"Mark, where are you taking me?" Saeron laughed, as she allowed herself to be dragged down the street by the wrist.

Mark was leading the way, and was being most mysterious as to where he was taking her. It was already past dusk, and the streetlamps lit their path.

"It's my idea of a romantic date," he said simply. And that was it. Saeron sincerely hoped he wasn't taking her to a fancy restaurant because she was really not dressed for the occasion. 

In fact, Saeron was fairly certain she didn't have anything worthy of a fancy restaurant, unless you counted that purple gown with the tropical print from Hawaii that Nayoung brought her two years ago –

"Saeron?" Mark had slowed, and was looking at her with mild concern. "Are you all right?"

"Eh?"

"You kind of spaced out."

"Oh." Saeron flushed, and looked down. "Sorry."

Mark smiled, and let go of her wrist only to twine his fingers through hers. "Anyway, we're here."

"We are?" No fancy restaurant in sight. Saeron let out a sigh of relief, until – "Is this our old preschool?"

Mark nodded, grinning broadly. Saeron stared in amazement. She could barely remember this place.

Now it was old, decrepit, and fenced off. A large, orange sign tacked on the fence read

[Danger, do not enter]

"What happened to it?"

"I found out a few days ago," he explained. "They're tearing it down to rebuild a new school. So I thought we'd get one last look at it before demolition."

"Wow." Saeron leaned against him. "It's so sad."

"Well," he said slowly. "I was thinking maybe we could get an even closer look."

She stared blankly at him. Then comprehension dawned on her face, and she realized just as he pulled her hand and it was too late.

"Mark! We are not sneaking in there!"

"C'mon, it'll be fun!" He reached the fence, and held out his hand. "I'll give you a boost. Let's go!"

Saeron looked around wildly. "This is breaking the law!"

"So?" He shrugged. "Fine, if you won't do it with me..."

Quickly and deftly, he jumped over the fence. Saeron gaped. "Mark!"

His teasing voice came from behind the fence. "You know you wanna do it~."

Saeron gulped, and looked around again. "You're mad," she accused Mark.

He merely hummed in response. Saeron stomped her foot, took a deep breath, and gripped the chain of the fence.

In one swift move, she was over. Her feet landed steadily on the other side, and warm hands came to rest on her waist.

"See?" Mark breathed in her ear. "No problem."

Saeron stiffened, hands gripping his forearms. She had been planning on berating Mark for doing something so dangerous, but had suddenly forgotten everything she was going to say.

For the longest time, neither of them moved. Finally, Mark stepped away, and began leading her towards the old school. "This way."

They ducked through doorways with no doors, and down halls that were crumbling dust from the ceiling. "Oh, my," she said. "This place really is very old."