18

Jisung frowned, checking his phone again. None of the guys were bothering to text him back, those jerks. They were all at the Halloween dance.

Jisung knew that technically he shouldn't classify them as his friends, since they were almost 3 years his senior, but they spent so much time in his dad's bar that they felt almost like family.

The mall wasn't very busy, and Jisung was using that to his advantage in the food court. He'd never been to a Starbucks with no lineup, and the feeling was so invigorating that he'd gone back several times for more. It was too much caffeine, really, but Jisung would have been jittery anyway.

If asked why Jisung was skulking a mall food court, jittery and ingesting too much caffeine, on Halloween, the answer was this: Jisung was meeting Yuna

As in, the girl he'd been texting for the better part of a week. As in, the cute girl with the big brown eyes and the impossibly long hair.

As in, the girl he was probably in love with. As in, the girl who was off-limits because she was not allowed to date, or even go outside.

Rule breaking was fun, Jisung thought as he swung his feet around the stool. He should do it more often.

"Jisung?"

He turned around. There she was, standing in an oversized hoodie, her hair all the way down to her hips, hesitant smile on her lips.

Oh, yeah. Rule-breaking was definitely something he was going to do more often.

"Trick-or-treat!"

Nari swung the door open, beaming down at the costumed children. "Well, hello!" She cheered, holding out her bucket of candy.

"Go on, it's free for all!" The children's faces lit up, and they dove into the bowl. Nari laughed.

When they had taken their fill, she waved them away and closed the door. It was already getting late, and they hadn't even halfway emptied the bowl of sweets.

At this rate, Nari was going to have to bring it to the lounge and start eating them herself.

As it was, she only took a small handful back with her. Jeno had another bowl on his lap; he hadn't wanted to hand out any tonight but Nari forced him. If she had to spend Halloween stuck up here, she argued, at least let her hand out candy.

The paper, as it turned out, had a two-page maximum and had taken only minutes to complete. Jeno stood over her shoulder the entire time, telling her what to write and where.

Nari had the growing suspicion that he hadn't needed her help at all, and only forced her to come as revenge for making him go to school every day.

Another, sneaky voice in her head muttered that he may have done it because he didn't want to be alone on Halloween; but Nari firmly ignored said voice, as she was so adept at doing.

"Haven't the brats stopped coming by now?" Jeno grumbled, downing another handful of Skittles.

"Not quite." Nari tucked her legs up, settling back into the plush couch. "Don't you usually have trick-or-treaters? You should be used to it by now."

"I turn off the porch light to keep them away," he snarked. "Now, can we finish the damn movie?"

"Yeah, yeah." Nari grabbed the remote and pressed play. Jack Skellington's lamenting voice filled their ears. She smiled automatically; this was one of her favourite movies.