𝐕. 𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐧 𝐄𝐲𝐞

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

𝐉𝐔𝐋𝐘 𝟏𝟖𝟏𝟑
𝐆𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐎𝐑 𝐒𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐄,
𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐍, 𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

"I said that Miss (L/n) can be my wife."

"Huh?" "What?" you and the Colonel sputtered respectively.

"Have you gone mad? Are you feeling unwell?" the Colonel stammered, looking wide-eyed as if Cavendish had suddenly grown another head.

Cavendish pursed his lips, somehow appearing more confused than them, "I have not taken a sudden illness, Phillips. However, I do not understand the need for your excessiveness."

"Excessiveness?" the Colonel gaped at him,

You, on the other hand, could only stare at Cavendish in utter shock.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, pause. I haven't even known this guy for a full day yet and now he wants me to pretend to be his wife?

Clearing his throat, Cavendish turned to look at you right in the eye, "I do not mean to force you towards the altar, Miss (L/n)." his eyes softened, "But I believe this might be the best solution to your problem. Forgive me for pointing this out, but you are very much in a vulnerable state. You have not the money nor the connections necessary for you to return home."

With a brief glance towards the Colonel, he finished, "And Phillips here will readily tell you that I am in an excellent position to aid you."

While you were considering the pros and cons of the situation, the Colonel interjected, "Cavendish, while you are indeed the best possible person to lend aid to Miss (L/n), have you not given thought to the consequences that the both of you might experience?"

When Cavendish only lifted a quizzical brow, the Colonel huffed exasperatedly, "First and foremost, how will you explain to everyone your sudden marriage? They might think it a marriage of convenience. Or worse, a marriage borne of compromise. Not only will it stain your own name, it will deal irreparable damage to Miss (L/n)'s reputation!"

"Then we shall state that Miss (L/n) and I had been quietly courting for months and that we had been engaged to marry since June. If people ask why they have only been informed, then it is because I was still in partial mourning and we had been hoping to strictly limit news of our engagement to our family." Cavendish interrupted defensively.

"How incongruous that you might mention family, dear cousin. By the by, how might you explain Miss (L/n)'s family, or rather, her lack of one?" the Colonel raised a brow in challenge.

Cavendish lifted his chin in defiance, "Her father owned a small country estate but after his death, she was forced to relocate with another relative due to the estate being entailed away to a male heir. That was when I had first met the acquaintance of Miss (L/n)."