Chapter 2: Other World Part 1

Rain pouring, my body drenched as I couldn't see past the empty landscape. It was cold, or was it? I didn't know how I felt, my vision barely encompassing a large building. All I could do was chitter at the prospect of what could be inside here, my warm fur patting the raindrops that managed to reach me. My family was nowhere to be seen; they must've fled back to the hideaway we found a week ago. 

I wonder, was it really safe for the young to be there. Yeah, the large bipedal figures didn't disturb the area, but their food wasn't present as well. Wait, isn't that's why I'm here now. I need to find food for the young so that they won't starve, the large bins already emptied by the large moving metal beast. There was something here earlier, a few smaller bipedal animals came in and out of this building, so there must be food inside. 

One of them though didn't seem hungry, instead vicious and strong like a snake. That was before I saw them walk into here, I remember now. They tried to hurt me, and I attacked back, clawing one of their bulbs at the uppermost part of the body, it must have been the head. The other threw me against the wall and I ran out of sight so their dinner wouldn't be served. Absolutely cruel and vicious toward a simpleton like myself just trying to scavenge for food. 

This wasn't the time to dawdle on such things, sprinting to the movable wall where they walked through, seeing a small chipped part on the bottom. My claws clamped the edges of the hole and pulled but it was strong, being resistant to tugging. Unable to do so, I tried to squeeze my body past the opening but my body wouldn't push through. This obstacle was resilient and held stead-fast, but it had to have a weakness. Whatever it was though, I didn't know and gave up to find another more accessible entrance. 

Just then, I found the prize as an invisible wall lay open, the only problem being that it was pretty high up. Scanning the area, I saw a humongous food bin next to a weirdly shaped piece of the building that the bipedal humans sometimes climb down when there's a fire, and a holey floor up there connected to the climbing wall. If it's for the young, I'll have to do anything. Scattering with a running jump, I scaled the large empty bin, running along the run, and sprung to the climbable wall. 

My small arms clasped around one of the rings as my body curled around it. The feeling of my strength being sapped away drove a familiar fear into my heart as I swung my body up. Now it was the difficult part, cautiously climbing up each ring until I was below the holey floor. Carefully, I slotted my claws into the holes and let my body dangle, forcing it along until the window was before me. It was painful to a whole new degree, but I managed to set my legs onto the window seal before letting go and crawling inside. 

It was like I was on a whole other habitat though, with large platforms with expansive divides throughout the building, various objects set upon these platforms. It seemed like I've been here before, but everything seemed so much larger. From the floor where the movable wall was, lay a straight path to an obstacle with a metal device set on top of it. Next to the metal device was another movable wall but it didn't encompass the entire surface area, instead, being half as tall and allowing people to walk behind the obstacle that spanned across the store. 

Sadly though, I couldn't see any food as I investigated the area. Something else caught my gaze as my search proved fruitless, a red gem that I swear I've seen before. It was dazzling, but as I stared at it, the realization of what I am hit me. What the heck am I doing in a raccoon body, my claws, short body, small stature? I...I was a normal human just a few hours ago. And being here, in this store, the cashier in the same spot... was this a dream or something else? It must be a dream; I just need to wake up. Before I could do anything, an ominous glow emanated from the red gem as the colors penetrated my eyes. It looked so beautiful; it was something special.

My eyes slowly opened as the sun gleamed in my room, turning everything into a bright orange color. Another day, another chance to fail again. I don't even know why I acted like that yesterday. As I stood up and got dressed for school, I couldn't help but wonder what I dreamed about last night. It must've been weird because echoes of it still remained in my mind, like an adrenaline rush or something like that. I didn't have time to think about it now, rushing down the stairs and waiting for my dad to wake up so that he could give me a ride to school.