Chapter 5: Grif's Backstory

"How the hell am I supposed to understand that? I'm too dumb for this." I said as Dominique, otherwise known as DJ, tried showing me the right answer on the stupid math homework. The bumpiness of the bus didn't help at all either as I could hardly even focus on the paper. Hell, why even do this now? I can just do it later at home. DJ knew I wouldn't though, not content on letting it off that easily. Though tomorrow was Friday so they wouldn't check the homework until the next week. Looking at DJ with a stern look, I said, "How about a deal, I'll do this tonight with the checkbook and I'll be nicer tomorrow?" 

He thought for a few seconds with his head raised up, obviously showing how strong his jaw was with the weirdly long hair seemingly gripping it, before looking back down at me and responding, "That's a definite no." I could only sigh again before he continued by saying, "If you would just focus for two minutes, you would understand this concept more." 

Before he could continue on talking to me about this lame homework, a kid in the back looked at me before asking, "Are you a girl?" It's been a while since I've been called that, but it isn't that big of a problem. Yeah, it irritates me but it isn't the end of the world if I'm called a girl. 

Looking at him, I said, "I'm female, but I'm a guy." His face, which was full of confusion, started at me. 

He didn't seem to have a clue at first before DJ stepped in and clarified, "He's transgender. So they, them is preferred but he, his, and him can work if you can't wrap that around your impudent brain." Defensive like always and sometimes coming off like an asshole, that's how DJ dealt with people who questioned who I was. I didn't mind as it was nice to have someone tell them instead of me, who they hardly even listen to. 

Because of this random dude, DJ didn't have time to teach me anything, which is a good thing. Before I knew it, the bus driver called both of our names to hurry up, waving us to go faster as DJ had a shocked expression on his face. Me, on the other hand, I was hiding a small smile as I gleefully got up and walked to the front of the bus. DJ trailed behind with disappointment in every step all the way until we were outside. This time, I won.

While walking home through the rickety, and yet, nicely painted houses, all I could focus on was how dimly lit the sidewalk was. This city is probably never going to fix it, but still, it's not a good sight when just looking down the street looks like a Hitchcock film. DJ was here to act all valiant too without really showing it, an adorable sight to notice. "You did that on purpose, didn't you?" DJ said as I couldn't help but smile through the harmless crime I committed. 

"You caught me. What are you going to do?" I said with the smile still spread across my face.

 DJ quickly closed the distance between us as he said, "You really want to know- ". Before he could finish, the sound of a cat yowling caught our attention as we looked over, only to see a small gap between two houses. It was like an alleyway except fences were the only things acting like a wall. Within the weird alleyway was a large empty dumpster with glass camouflaging a strange object on the ground. 

I was about to just walk over to it before DJ stopped me, pointing me to the glass and how it covered the entire ground as if someone just threw a pack of beers. Some of them even blended in with the gravel, the streetlight a few feet away showing the reflection of the light. Carefully, he walked over, stepping where he could so that the glass wouldn't stick in his shoes as he finally grabbed it. 

His body was covering the entire thing from view at that moment, making it hard for me to stay patient as he just stood there staring at it. If it wasn't for me yelling out his name, he probably would've stayed like that for a few more minutes, turning around and walking back over to me. In his hand was a weird jewel or crystal, the dim light didn't make it easy to really see it. I didn't even know what colour it was, it could've been red to brown or even blue.