Under Starlights Veil Part II

Ruby eased the door shut and then slumped back onto it, sighing heavily. While she felt slightly better knowing the truth now she had been given something else to think about with even more fathoms of importance.

Her father... The one who raised her and loved her in place of her mother for the past ten years, was irreversibly possessed with a desire to destroy the peace that the kingdoms had come to know after one hundred years of non-stop war.

Ruby brought her hand up to cover her mouth as tears began flowing freely. The same feeling of nausea she'd felt earlier that day when she'd seen her mother alive had returned. She waited there for a moment until the nausea subsided before pushing herself up off of the door. She began to leave in the direction of her room.

She rounded a corner before bumping into Weiss, Ruby almost falling over before being caught around her waist by her aide. "Ruby! Are you alright?" Weiss asked before she noticed the redness in her beloveds eyes and her still wet cheeks.

She'd been crying. "Ruby? What's the matter?" Weiss asked her princess concern coursing throughout her body. The question however, only succeeded in bringing more tears forth from Ruby's eyes.

As Weiss brought Ruby back up to a standing position Ruby brought her hands up to try and stop the tears. When she lowered her hands and saw Weiss' worried gaze, she inhaled sharply. Ruby stood there for a minute thinking about what to say, before her knees began shaking.

Weiss noticed immediately and pulled Ruby into a tight embrace tossing all etiquette and secrecy the the wind. Whatever it was that was wrong, Weiss knew that her princess needed her now more than ever. A bit surprised at first, Ruby stood there enveloped in Weiss' subtle warmth before gratefully accepting the embrace squeezing her back.

They stood there for a moment Weiss stroking Ruby's hair. After Ruby somewhat composed herself she spoke, "thank you Weiss." she said quietly.

"Of course. whatever it is that's troubling you Ruby, you know you can come to me any time?" Weiss reassured her princess, still firmly gasping her shoulders. Ruby nodded, "I know Weiss I've just got a lot on my mind right now." she said with a sniffle.

"Did you want to talk about it?" Weiss tried looking into the younger girls silver pools. Ruby shook her head before moving back into Weiss' embrace. "your father wanted to speak with you, to make sure you weren't hurt."

Ruby shook her head once more, "I can't bring myself to speak with him right now..." she said burying her face into Weiss' collar. Weiss' expression furrowed in both confusion and understanding. Ruby had been through a great ordeal today. She didn't know if it was her exhaustion or something else keeping her from seeing the king but it wasn't her place to pry, nor would she consider doing so anyhow.

She'd never seen Ruby look so fragile before. The strong confident girl she'd fallen in love with now looked as if a butterfly's wingbeat would shatter her(credit for this beautiful metaphor goes to Mjkas on fanfic.net from his story two white loved ones!), and it scared her.

All Weiss knew was that Ruby needed her support now, and she'd never abandon Ruby. When Ruby still didn't retreat from Weiss' collar, Weiss sighed before reaching first around Ruby's shoulders and then underneath her legs, lifting her up bridal style.

"W-Weiss?!" Ruby said startled at the suddenness, blush spreading across her face. "W-What are y-"

"You need a distraction, something to take your mind off of whatever it's on right now," Weiss smiled as she tuned back in the direction of the princesses quarters. Ruby sniffled again as she attempted to dry her eyes once more. She then snuggled closer to Weiss' chest for the trip back to her room.