Chapter 1 - Wilhelm

He didn't say it back.
I step in the car and take place next to my mom. I look back, trying to get eye contact with Simon, but he looks down on the ground. I feel numb when we drive off. I keep looking back until I can't see his face anymore.
My mom starts talking to me about how being a crown prince is a privilege. I don't want to hear it. Being a crown prince doesn't feel like a privilege, I feel like I have to live a life I never wanted. It's suffocating. I wonder how Erik dealt with the pressure of being the crown prince for so many years.

Erik. My chest hurts when I think about him. I haven't been able to fully grief him yet. My parents didn't even cry after his funeral. I've never actually really seen them cry. I miss him, Erik. He would have found the right words to comfort me. We didn't talk that much, but I like to think we were close. I always looked up to him and he made me feel safe. I hope he was proud to be my big brother.

When we arrive home, I go straight to my room. I ignore my mother who keeps going on and on about my responsibilities. I close the door and lay down on my bed.
I feel an anxiety rush coming up when I think about Simon. I can't get his face out of my head when I told him I loved him, I think I scared him with those words. I rub my chest, trying to calm myself down. I stare at the ceiling and breathe in and out until I feel the anxiety going slowly away.

I must have fallen asleep, because when my mom knocks at the door, it takes me a minute to realise I'm not at Hillerska. My mom comes in.
"Wilhelm? Can you come downstairs?" she asks. I sigh. "Wilhem, you have to. Your dad wants to talk about your situation with..." she takes a pause, like she always does when she can't find the right words. "With this boy of yours".