Chapter 14 - Wilhelm

Today is the day. I'm leaving Sweden and 'starting over' in England. That's how my mom likes to phrase it: a start over, a new begin. I see it more as a punishment. I'm getting punished while I did nothing wrong.

Simon has called me multiple times during the past few days. Everytime, I was on the edge of picking up, but I was afraid that I'd break down if I heard his voice. So I didn't pick up. Stupid. Now I'll propably never hear his voice again.

What if one day, I can't remember how his voice sounds? Or I can't remember how his touch feels? I try not to panic, but my chest is hurting already. I have to stop thinking about Simon, I need to get over him.

'Wilhelm? Can you open the door?' It's my mom. I sigh and stand up to open the door. She comes in. 'Are you ready to leave? You have everything packed?' she asks.

'Yeah. Almost ready. But we don't leave for another thirty minutes, right?' I ask her. I want to spend as much time as possible in this house, even though it doesn't even feel like home.
'The car will be here in twenty minutes, so you have to be ready by then,' my mom says. 'OK,' I mumble. It looks like she wants to walk out, but she changes her mind. 'And Wilhelm?' she says, 'You did a good job on the interview this morning. Much better.'

I roll my eyes and don't respond. 'You scripted everything, mom. You wouldn't let me say anything without your permission,' I say.

I had to do another interview this morning about 'my' decision to go to England. This time it wasn't live, luckily. My mom would never let me do that again.

'Well, the last time you did an interview you proved you can't do it by yourself,' my mom responds frustrated. Her good mood ended really quickly, apparently. 'So you just have to obey the rules, so you don't mess it up again.' She walks out and slams the door.

I groan. I'm tired of this. I shouldn't be here. I should be out in the world, making memories, falling in love, but I'm stuck here. Prisoned, but not allowed to feel that way. No, I should be 'grateful' to be the crown prince.

Twenty minutes later, I grab my stuff and take one last look at my room. I don't know what to think. This place never quite felt like home, but it's still a part of me that I'm leaving behind. I try not to think about it and close the door.

I walk with my parents to the car. My dad clears his throat. He won't be bringing me to the airport, only my mom will come with me. 'Well, Wilhelm...' he starts. 'Have a good flight. I hope you'll feel welcome in England.'

He gives me a pat on my shoulder. That's it? That's all he has to say? I know he's bad with words, but he's acting like I am a stranger to him. 'Thanks,' I say softly.

My mom and I get in the car. The strong smell of leather makes me feel nauseous when I take my seat. We drive off and I try not to focus on the smell. I stare out of the window the first few minutes, lost in my thoughts.

And then I see them.

Felice and Simon.

Walking together on the side of the road. I hold my breath. Am I hallucinating? No, it's really them, I realise after blinking my eyes. Holy shit.
I completely forgot that this morning, my old teacher was going to tell the class that I'm leaving.

They came for me. He came for me.

'Stop! Stop the car!' I yell. 'What is going on?' asks my mom, startled by me. Then she notices them. 'No. We're not stopping. Elias, keep driving,' she tells our driver.

'Mom! Please, just... I only need one moment. Please,' I beg her. But she's determined. 'No. We're not stopping.'

'Elias, please stop,' I beg again. But he doesn't listen to me. He has to serve my mom, not me.

Our car keeps coming closer and closer to Felice and Simon. They haven't noticed me yet.

The road gets smaller and Elias slows down a bit.

Then he sees me.

We look each other right in the eye, and it's like the whole world freezes. I want to scream, but I can't seem to open my mouth. In that moment, where everything freezes, I tell him with my eyes that I'm sorry. I tell him that I love him and that I wish we had more time together.
There is so much more I want to say. So much more I want to do.

But the car keeps driving, creating distance between me and Simon.

This can't be it.

I close my eyes and turn my head away from Simon's sight, still feeling like everything is in slow motion.

'Mom, please, just stop the car,' I beg her again. I tear up. She doesn't answer. I look back in the window and see Simon a hundred feet behind us. He's still looking at me,. My heart shatters. 'It's over,' I tell myself. Really over this time. There's no way we can find each other again.

I break eye contact from Simon and start crying. I hear my mom sigh.

'You know what your problem is, Wilhelm?' she asks. 'That you still think you own your life. You don't. I make the decisions for you, I know what's good for you and what is not. And I know that that boy is not good for you. You have to grow up and realise that you have responsibilities and an expectation to live up to. You're lost in your own mind.'

I bite my lip and try to dry my tears. I can't. They just keep coming. I can't be strong. I can't be a fucking crown prince.

For a few minutes, we ride in silence.

'You know, everything would just be so much easier if you had fallen in love with a girl, Wilhelm. We wouldn't have had this mess,' my mom starts. 'Believe me, it would have been easier.'

I swallow and wipe a few tears.

'Who told you falling in love was supposed to be easy, mom?'