Chapter 13 - Simon

It's been a full week since the last time I saw Wilhelm. I'm worried about him. When he didn't show up at school for three days straight, I decided to call him. Since then, I've called him dozens of times, but he doesn't pick up.

Nobody knows where he is or why he he isn't at school. My teachers don't tell me anything, even though I've bothered them with so many questions about Wille. When he first arrived at our school a few weeks ago, everyone was paying attention to him. They were obsessed with him. And now it's like nobody cares about him anymore.

That's not true actually. Felice still cares. Since our talk in the bathroom last week, we've been talking a lot more. Never in a million years did I think I would become friends with Felice. But I also didn't expect to fall in love with the crown prince of Sweden, for crying out loud. Life can be full of surprises, I guess. Painful surprises, in my case.

I haven't told Felice about the situation between Sara and August yet. I feel guilty about not telling her, but it also doesn't feel like my responsibility to do it. There's still a weird vibe between me and Sara, like we're enemies but don't say it out loud. She has already apologized to me, but I think she was forced by my mom. My mom got tired of us not acting like a family and not talking. I'm also tired of this, but I feel like Sara doesn't see how much I'm struggling with everything. It can't be fixed by one apology, especially when it's not even sincere.

I walk into the classroom and when I see Felice, I give her a faint smile. I sit down next to Sara. Fight or not, at the beginning of this year we promised each other to always sit together in class.

Sara tries to make conversation, but I'm not in the mood for it. I'm starting to give up thinking someone will explain me what has happened with Wille.

Still in my thoughts, I don't notice the teacher walking in. Everybody is already standing up. 'Simon, get up,' Sara whispers in my direction. I stand up, too abruptly; my chair falls. Great.

'Sorry,' I mumble to no one while picking it up. 'Good morning,' the teacher starts, 'today I have something important to share. Sit down please.'

This could be about Wille.

'The crown prince was supposed to give this statement himself, but something came up,' the teacher explains. 'That's why I'm the one telling you that Wilhelm will be leaving us at Hillerska.'

Everything around me gets foggy.

'The royal family has decided that from now on, he will be attending a boarding school in England. He wanted you to know that-'

'England?!'

Everyone looks at me. I did not mean to yell so loud. 'Sorry,' I apologise softly. 'But England?!'

My teacher answers me. It's like I can hear the words coming out of his mouth, but can't process them. I feel Sara's hand on my shoulder, asking if I'm OK.

Of course I'm not OK.

I feel like a zombie the rest of the hour. When class is over and everyone leaves, I'm still frozen to my seat. Felice comes over, looking worried. 'Simon, are you OK?'

'No,' I utter. 'Not really.'
'I'm so sorry for you,' Felice says. 'But we could do something. We could stop him, you know. We could go over to his house.'

'They'll never let me in. His mom is not a fan of me, you know,' I say. 'Yeah, but she'll let me in, probably. I've known Wilhelm since we were kids. Come on, we can skip class,' says Felice, trying to stay positive.

I stand up and follow her leaving the classroom, because what else could I do? Sit around and wait for Wille to leave Sweden?

When I walk outside and the cold air hits me, I wake up from my zombie mode. 'So, what is the plan? Are we taking the bus?' I ask Felice.

She gets interrupted before her answer. It's August. 'Simon!' he shouts. I sigh. Definitely not in the mood for him.

'C-can I ask you something?' He says nervous. That's weird. August is never nervous. He's always the confident (in my opinion cocky) one in a conversation.

'What's up?' I ask him slightly annoyed. 'I don't have much time for you.'
'Can we talk privately?' August asks. Felice and I exchange looks. 'Ehm. No, actually,' I say.

August is startled by my response. 'I was just w-wondering after what the teacher told us, if... if you're OK? And if you'd ever forgive me? For what I did?' he says.

No I'm the one who's startled. 'Eh...' I say.

What am I supposed to say? My mom has taught me to always forgive people, no matter how angry you are. But forgiving August can't be done so quickly.

I decide to be honest. I don't have the power anymore to be angry or hold any grudge. 'I don't know, August. You literally ruined the lives of two people. And for what? Because you were jealous? Petty?' I say. August looks down on the ground.

Felice is standing awkwardly besides me. I realise I have no time to have this conversation, we have to go after Wille. We have to go find my boyfriend, who's leaving the country. It's weird that I still consider Wille as my boyfriend, even though I broke up with him. Remind me why I did that again...

I turn back to August.

'You know, August; someday I might forgive you,' I tell him. 'But forgiving you does not mean I'll ever understand you.'