Chapter 11 - Simon

I walk away from Wilhelm, feeling like my heart just got ripped out of my body. I never wanted our relationship to end like this. But I felt like I had no choice than to break up with him. We couldn't keep lying to ourselves, thinking we could work this out. I was being stupid, getting lost in my hopes despite knowing we could never be together the way I wanted. I guess love does make you naive.

Right now, I need to focus on something else. Or actually someone: Sara. When I arrived at school this morning, August came over to me to ask me how I was doing. He never asks me that without needing something from me, so I got immediately suspicious. I gave him some vague answer and then he started to apologise for the video.

'What are you apologising for?' I asked, 'it's not your fault.' Honestly, I just wanted the conversation to end. I tried to walk away, but he grabbed me by my coat. 'Don't you know what I'm talking about?' He asked with a very confused look.

Then he explained. Reluctantly, he started to tell me what happened. He didn't even have the guts to look me in the eye. I couldn't believe it.

It was a typical August move, recording and releasing that video. Looking back, I don't know why I suspected him earlier. But still. I didn't know he was such a bad guy.

When he was finished, I felt like punching him, but I knew he wasn't worth it. Besides, I felt like he still hadn't told the entire truth. Like he was holding something back. I was right. He freaking hooked up with Sara. Out of all the girls, he hooked up with her. Now I know why's she has been acting weird lately.

I walk into school, looking for Sara. I eventually spot her in the hallway. She's leaning to the wall, next to the headmaster's office. 'Sara!' I shout at her. She looks up. 'We need to talk. Now,' I say.

'What's wrong?' She responds. I look around, there are too many people around us for this conversation. 'Not here. Come with me.' I pull her by her wrist, but she resists. 'Simon, I can't talk now. I have a meeting with the headmaster, about me becoming a boarder. I told you about that this morning,' she says.

I lose my patience. I don't care that everyone can hear us. 'You know, Sara, for two weeks I have been trying to understand why you want to move here. Now I finally get it. You want to live closer to that douchebag.'

She looks confused. 'What on earth are you talking about?'

'What I'm talking about, is the fact that you hooked up with August! Not only that, you also knew that it was him who released the video!' I yell.

I start crying. I can't stop it. I feel like I have lost Wilhelm and Sara in one morning.

Sara mouth falls open. 'Shit,' she whispers. 'Simon, I'm-'

She gets interrupted. The door behind her opens. It's the headmaster. 'Sara, there you are. Come on in please,' he says. Sara looks at me and looks back at the headmaster, not sure what to do. The headmaster can feel the tension between us; he coughs awkwardly. 'I don't have much time, Sara,' he says.

Sara gives me a regretful look and follows the headmaster into his office. The door closes before me.

I want to get angry and scream, but I realise I'm already late for class. Great, everyone can see that I've cried on the first day of school. I walk towards the classroom, trying to cover up my tears. When I walk through the door, I see Wilhelm already sitting behind his desk, looking right at me with puppy eyes.

I swallow. I can't do this. This is all too much for one day. I turn around and run to the bathroom. I accidentally run into Felice. 'I'm sorry,' I say without slowing down. I get into one of the toilets, close the door and sit down. This time I don't cover up my tears. How am I going to sit in the same classroom as Wilhelm, everyday for the rest of the year?

I hear a knock on my door. It's Felice. 'Simon, are you okay?' she asks. 'Yeah, yeah, I'm fine,' I try to assure her, but she has obviously already heard me crying. 'Are you sure?' she asks.

'No. No, I'm actually not okay. At all,' I say. It's silent for a moment.

'Do you have room for one more person who's also not okay?' Felice asks. I open the door. 'Sure.'
She sits down on the floor. Propably not the best time to tell her how much guys pee next to the urinal. 'What's wrong?' she asks. I sigh. 'It's about Wilhelm.'

I tell her about everything that's happened since Christmas, including our 'break up' this morning. The only thing I leave behind is the Sara part.

'Pff. That's shitty man,' is all Felice says. She's right though. 'Yeah, it is,' I reply. 'But what about you? Why are you sitting on a disgusting floor with me on the first day of school?' Now it's her turn to sigh. 'Hmm. Not really in the mood to talk about it,' she answers. 'That's OK. But if you want to talk about it... you know where to find me.'

'Thanks.' She smiles and gives me a hug. 'Come on, we have to get back to class. You know how the teacher gets when we're late.' She stands up and pulls me up with her hand. Together we walk back to the classroom.

When I step inside, I instantly see something's different.

Wille's seat, where he was sitting just five minutes ago, is empty.