Chapter 16: Training Regiment

Days go by the Viking teens finally well rested and have full recovered. And so its time to go back to their routine. Astrid doing some solo training in the forest, hurling her axe mercilessly at trees to both improve both her percision and accuracy, as each time she throws it slowly becomes more accurate. Thyriem also did some training with Snotlout, both teens sparring inside the kill ring. The Thorston twins proceeds to train themselves even further into their so called art of gurellia warfare by using mud and soil to make themselves blend in with nature, as well as improving their mobility. As for Freyja and Fishlegs they're doing some research, specifically Fishlegs is on dragons as such he tries making small hand sized cards for each dragon known so far rather than lugging a book wherever he goes, while Freyja is on poisons to cripple dragons or other vikings and medicinal herbs wanting to improve their team's combat prowess.

By team I mean that they solidified their roles in combat. Astrid, Thyriem and Snotlout serves as the frontline or the vanguard. Freyja and Fishlegs serves as the backline support where Freyja will use poison tipped bolts while Fishlegs provides insight and information on what they are dealing with. For example when up against a Nadder they should take advantage at the dragon's blindspot. And lastly the twins well not really certain but aside from gureilla warfare they do recon.

Stoick notices the teens determination especially on his son. That trauma on nearly losing a love one sure did motivated the poor lad. And surprise the Chief is that the twin are on it as well, well maybe still with the mischief but nontheless its progress on their part. As of now everyone is strenghtening on what they are good at.

Stoick advised the teens to build a small campsite in the cove where they can start their training without being bothered. In his eyes they are a dull blade that is desperate to be sharpened. A challenge was presented by Snotlout, that they won't return to Berk for supplies and instead they have to use the forest as a means of sustainance from the animals for food and the wood for the pyre.

The next morning it was a marathon or a game of running around the forest. Its for them to get used to be on the run. Its rules are simple, 1 of them is the dragon and his or her job is to capture the others the rest will run around the forest trying to escape. Its purpose is to improve their stamina and endurance. Astrid was the "dragon" and so the rest scrambles into the forest well except for Fishlegs whose on his pile of books and paperwork. Astrid knew the forest well and thus knows her way around. She finds fresh tracks on the forest floor and follows it to find Snotlout taking a breather. With that Snotlout is out. About an hour and a half all got caught. The twins would have not been discovered if only they kept their mouths shut.

Next was to catch food for lunch. Thyriem volunteered to hunt and came back with fresh venison. This gave the teens a hearty meal which is great for their morale. Now come past noon where is time to spar or research. Freyja was able to create an insect repellant with some grinded bog myrtles, that would seriously help alot. Astrid still prefers to go solo but Thyriem insisted her to spar with him as Snotlout appears to be exhausted from running earlier. She finally agrees with and thus battle wage on. Axe vs sword, a crude weapon vs a noble one. As they spar metal clash together, sparks flew as both fought as if it were real. Astrid's competetive spirit reminds her to never give up and was able to best Thyriem, throught a mighty arcing slash of her axe down to his blade causing to break in half. With that the boy concedes defeat. Both teens shakes hands in a sign of respect. Astrid then goes deeper into the forest to train solo. Freyja gets out from her tent and us armed with her crossbow, its time for her to train  her aim.

It was past 6 PM now the teen all gathered in their camp preparing dinner. And so ends Day 2 of sveral months to come.

After a few more days, the teens decided to go back to town since trader Johan was coming by for a visit. As the teens entered town, everyone was shocked to see them in tatters. Some parts of their clothing were ripped, ragged and burnt. Snotlout, Thyriem and Astrid where covered in bandages within it are herbs prepared by Freyja. Fishlegs had bags under his eyes. But nontheless they seem fine. The chief ordered them to get cleaned up and take new clothes and equipment. But before that they bought some things from Johan. Fishlegs went for 2 small jars of squid ink and a novel from other tribes, Snotlout buys a mirror for him to see himself all day and some mirth in hopes of wooing Astrid much to the dismay of the poor lass. Astrid buys another axe this time its made from steel so it much more durable than ones made out of iron. Freyja had her eyes on some blue flowers and empty vials. The twins actually made a smart move and bought a statue, which to the others was a new practice dummy. Thyriem buys himself a new leather armor. Their procurement of equipment was very well done well exept for the Jourgenson. Now comes the public baths, even Vikings can't tolerate the putrid stench. Atleast a weekly bath would do them well.

Stoick wanted to know their progress so far as he asked Freyja. She tells him that Astrid's throws are much more avcirate than before 8/10. Thyriem and Snotlout stamina and endurance were greatly improved. The twins stealth were also good albeit they still make some noise while hiding. Fishlegs just finished his cards. And Freyja found a breakthrough. She got some blue flowers from Johan also known as the blue Oleander, which were known to be poisonous to reptiles, henceforth poisonous to dragons. To back up her hypothesis she grinded it and let it soak in water so its essences will seep and mix with water. After that she dropped an ounce of it to one of the caged dragon's food. It got sick to the stomach and barely moved  afterwards which signifies the poison was a success. It may not be potent enough to kill, but it sure does render the winged beast helpless and paralyzed.

Stoick had his jaws open. Who would'nt be, the next generation is improving well and found another weakness against their mortal foe. They are preparing for war after all. Later that day they showed off their strenght to everyone. By challenging a Nightmare. Not individually, but as a team. Stoick trust them to do well and agrees on their challenge.

The teens were ready, the crowd noticed them in a formation. Fishlegs then gave them a rundown. Just then the bars lifted and the dragon burst out off of its cage ready to fight. It sees the teens in front of it, instincts drived the beast to open fire. A torrent of flames came out of its mouth, but was blocked by Snotlout and his new shield. The shield was not circular nor made with some wood, it was all steel. The dragon was stunned by the fact its flames were merely set aside and thus went on melee. Just then when it charges at them a flask of blue Oleander essence collided with its face causing the container to break and the poisonous fluids splatter on the beast's face. In an instance it felt weak. But did not lose the will to fight. It tried to claw its way to them but because of it's sluggish movements the teens merely moved out of the way. Astrid and Thyriem strikes at the beast's legs, aiming for the tendons responsible for mobility. The twins threw bolas at it's wings. The dragon's fate was sealed. It couldn't fly nor move its legs and was too weak to ignite itself ablaze. The teens win the fight. The crowd was silent, a monstrous nightmare was easily dealth with by teens no less. Stoick in the inside was very proud of them especially to his children. He wants them to be strong and not suffered the fate of his departed first son Hiccup. The village had a feast to celebrate their victory.