07: Wherein Dreams are Made of Reality

Despite drinking way beyond her limit, Jiseol didn't completely black out

Despite drinking way beyond her limit, Jiseol didn't completely black out. In fact, she visited a dream. But rather than a dream, it was more of a recollection of an actual memory from two years ago that she wouldn't even know was still fresh in her mind.

It was towards the end of orientation week for the freshmen. A variety of booths were set up all over campus, ecstatic seniors encouraging clueless freshmen to join their clubs. Unlike other students who were hand in hand as they explored different clubs, Jiseol was alone; none of her high school friends enrolled into the same university she did. She did make a few friends throughout orientation week but none that would stick by her side just yet. She didn't mind, though, she liked being alone.

"Come enjoy BDSM with us!"

A tall, spectacled senior had shoved a flyer into her face and Jiseol couldn't help almost choking on air when she heard the club name. She squinted at the details on the flyer, sighing in relief when she saw that their BDSM stood for Bible Discussion and Study Meeting.

She politely declined the offer and walked away with an awkward smile. Several other clubs tried persuading her to join them, but Jiseol already had a club set in mind. When she finally found it, she stared at the placard in awe: Debate Club.

"If you're a debater, come join us!" a senior with pretty hair shouted. She took a double glance at Jiseol, to which Jiseol had muttered out a very small "Hi".

"Are you interested in joining?" the senior asked and Jiseol was taken aback by the way her tone sounded more doubtful than encouraging.

"It's going to be a really hardcore environment, sweetie. Debaters have to be brave and confident! I'm afraid if you join us you'll be eaten up alive," the senior laughed, apparently trying to seem considerate, but all Jiseol felt was humiliated. Her cheeks turned hot as she didn't bother saying anything else before walking off in shame.

She knew she should have corrected the senior and told her that she was speaking to a former state champion, but Jiseol wasn't the type to do so. She liked her peace and quiet, so although she wasn't afraid of standing up for herself, she simply refused to. It would take far too much energy out of her and she'd rather stay out of trouble. Besides, she guessed she couldn't blame the senior either; the other students approaching the debate club's booth were all pumped up with excitement, chatting away with their friends. Meanwhile, she was alone and just one word from her gave off the impression she was quiet and shy.

Which she was, except for being shy. Jiseol was just quiet and unbothered, with the opposite of competitiveness in her blood. Of course, there was an exception to that: the only person who could trigger her high-strung, temperamental and competitive side was her high school debate rival. Though most times she'd ignore Lee Donghyuck's childish teasing and goofing around, she lost her calm composure in their last high school tournament the previous year. She had never been anywhere near arrogant her whole life, but she had been so smug to win two trophies over Donghyuck that she didn't even recognize herself.