41: Donghyuck's Jiseol

The thunderstorm had bid its goodbyes, leaving just a light shower in its wake

The thunderstorm had bid its goodbyes, leaving just a light shower in its wake. Donghyuck held the umbrella for the two of them as they walked together slowly, accompanied by silence that wasn't awkward nor unwelcomed. Puddles by the side of the road reflected the moon's light and the slight blush on Jiseol's face each time she accidentally got too close to Donghyuck to avoid the rain.

"So, uh, where's this cafè you're taking me to?" Jiseol asked, skipping over a hole in the sidewalk. She had no idea where they were or where they were headed to—she'd been blindly following Donghyuck since they left their apartment. It was already sometime past midnight as they had to get changed into something more comfortable after he got them both wet.

"It's up there," Donghyuck gestured to a worryingly high flight of stairs. "I promise you that it's going to be worth it."

Jiseol winced. "You know I have shit stamina."

"I'll help you out," he grinned. Before she could ask how, he grabbed her hand and started leading her up the stairs.

"I'm not sure how this would help with my stamina," Jiseol muttered, yet held his hand anyway. The warmth of Donghyuck's hand in hers compared to the chilly weather surrounding them made her believe that she might collapse on the staircase rather than have an improved stamina.

By the time they reached the top, Jiseol was panting and exhausted, while Donghyuck looked like he hadn't sweat a drop. The former moaned and clutched her knees, heart racing and for the first time in a while, it wasn't because of Donghyuck. Well, until he smiled down on her and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.
Then her heart started racing for a completely different reason.

Donghyuck pushed the cafè door open, letting Jiseol step inside first. It was mostly empty aside from a student who had his hood up in front of his laptop and a trio of girls who were all crying for some reason. Jiseol's exhaustion as if dissipated into thin air when she realized that the cafè had glass walls which allowed the perfect view of the city from a distance above. It resembled the beautiful view from the Broke Bitches Club where Jiseol and Donghyuck had a heart-to-heart talk after celebrating their success in solving a cyber crime, but Jiseol liked this one so much better; she could sit to admire the view, it was peaceful and there wasn't a distinct stench of urine mixed with alcohol.

"Look at the menu, then you can pick out a place for us to sit," Donghyuck said to her, satisfied that she was impressed by the place as per his expectations.

"Okay," Jiseol beamed. She squinted at the menu above the counter and as she did so, Donghyuck noticed the way the cashier was checking her out. He did not like it.

She decided on a hot caramel latte and bounced off to choose a table for two closest to the wall. Donghyuck waited by the counter, mesmerized as he watched the way Jiseol watched the city. There were not enough words in his vocabulary that could describe how he felt seeing her in his varsity jacket; their jackets got mixed up in the laundry a while ago and Donghyuck was too obsessed with how big it looked on her to make a switch. He honestly didn't know whether to fixate on how cute she looked in his jacket or how hot she looked with her new hair.