42: No Secrets Between Apartments

One thing about (almost) dating your roommte was that when you come home together after confessing your innermost feelings to each other, you wouldn't be quite sure what to do

Do you shake hands and say "Good night"? Do you cuddle to sleep? Or do you bonkadonk all night like animals?

"Third option sounds fantastic," Donghyuck smirked as he opened the door to their apartment.

Jiseol rolled her eyes, immediately regretting confiding in him the question that played on her mind. She felt a bit, maybe even a lot awkward, not knowing what the correct thing to do was now that her roommate was a step away from becoming her boyfriend. Especially considering that he was a menace to her up until a few weeks ago when the constant irritation towards his existence turned into an addiction.

"I'll choose the first option, then," she muttered and extended her hand to Donghyuck. "Good night."

His smirk only grew comically wider. He grabbed her hand but instead of shaking it, he pulled her closer to him and wrapped his arms around her waist. The sudden shift in their distance—now that their faces were barely an inch separated—made Jiseol yelp and Donghyuck laugh.

"Good night, Jiseol," Donghyuck said softly, bumping the tip of her nose with his.

"You're making me want to do the second option." Jiseol teased.

Donghyuck was pleasantly surprised. Somewhat relieved too that Jiseol was beginning to ease her way in; he was worried that she'd been constantly stiff and uncomfortable.

"As much as I want to, I need to properly make you my girlfriend first before we start bonkadoking and that includes cuddles."

"I'm more than okay with that," Jiseol assured him. She was smiling, content being in his arms as he gazed at her affectionately.

Yet her smile dropped when her eyes fell to the silver chain around his neck. Donghyuck still hadn't taken off his symbol of Chaeryeong and the clover pendant dangled like an accusation. The campus slut was now dating her own friend's ex-boyfriend—she couldn't possibly think that this would be a relationship that would go well. For a split second, an overwhelming sense of panic enveloped Jiseol's entire being, despite her best efforts to push the negative thoughts away.

It didn't go unnoticed. Donghyuck immediately pulled away, brows stitched together as he scanned Jiseol's change of expression.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked seriously.

Jiseol didn't want or know what to answer, but her brief glance to the necklace he was wearing answered on her behalf.

"Oh, shit, I forgot about this ugly thing."

"I'm worried. What would I be if I'm dating my friend's ex? I'd be just like my own ex then," Jiseol was sullen. "And you also said that you didn't take it off because you deep down still wanted her back, I'm just...overthinking at this point."

"Oh, baby," Donghyuck shook his head. "You are nothing like Jinyoung. Don't even dare compare yourself to him. I know that you might feel iffy because of how you and me and well, Chaeryeong. Y'know. But let's focus on the you and me part for now, okay?"

He grabbed the chain, determined look on his face. "I also promise you that I'm not wearing this because I want her back. I just forgot. But now, I'm going to do something about it to prove my faith to you."

"Donghyuck, I appreciate it but I don't think you sh—"

Donghyuck screamed in pain when his attempt of ripping the necklace off coolly with his bare hand didn't work. All it did was hurt his fingers and hurt his neck, even causing him to choke on air. Jiseol, who was right as always, could only wince at the sight.

"But it works in movies," he said through a choked voice, eyes tearing up.

"Let me do it," an exasperated Jiseol volunteered. As Donghyuck was high on pain, her nimble fingers quickly unclasped the necklace.

It felt strange. He hadn't taken the necklace off for so long that he could feel a tingle around his  neck. Or that could've been from how he almost cut his own head off, he couldn't be sure. What he was sure of was that seeing that damned necklace in Jiseol's pretty hands was one of the most freeing feelings he'd ever experienced.

"I'll give this away at a thrift store," Donghyuck promised and tucked the necklace into the pocket of his jeans. Being the son of a passionate environmental lawyer, he couldn't find it in him to simply throw it away.

Jiseol's smile was enough to say that she was honored by his actions.

"It's kind of a pity though. You looked really hot with a silver necklace," Jiseol absentmindedly touched Donghyuck's neck with both her hands. She had no idea of the impact it had on the man. He was frozen and he exhaled so hard that his glasses fogged up.

"Keep rubbing my neck like that and we are definitely doing option three."

Jiseol's hands sprung off. She grinned sheepishly and let them rest on his shoulders instead.

"Would you mind if I get you a new one? Or is it too soon for gifts?"

"I'd love to get a new one from you," Donghyuck said earnestly. "Besides, it's never too early for gifts. Think of it as a parting gift for roommates. You are moving out in two weeks."

"Oh yeah," Jiseol nodded. "Would you help me move? Chenle's going back to China and won't be around."

Donghyuck shot her a dramatic, offended look. "You shouldn't even have to ask me that! If I choose to do something else over helping you, I want you to cut my balls off."

"Really?"

"...No."

Jiseol laughed. A rarely heard, extremely sweet melody that had Donghyuck falling all over again.

"Speaking of Chenle, do you think we should tell our friends after we make it official? They're going to make fun of us for weeks," she shivered.

"Nah, I think that they're going to collapse from happiness. My money's on Renjun to cry," Donghyuck snorted. "But I also want to kind of protect this precious secret for a while."

"It's not a secret to us!" a man's voice came from the wall. The couple next door had listened to everything of course, from the very first day.

"We're so happy you two are finally together!" the girlfriend squealed. "Last long, you two!"

"Thank you for your well wishes!" Donghyuck said loudly for the couple next door to hear, then leaned in closer to Jiseol to whisper.

"Yeah...let's never bonkadonk in this apartment."

short update because it's a special day today!!

dear dream,
happy 7th anniversary.
you will forever be my lifeline.
lots of love, 7dream's nana