Chapter 7: A Vision of Shadows

"Keep moving! Come on! Go! Honestly, it's like herding a field of cattle!"

Doug stumbled over the uneven pavement, nearly taking out Evie who was trudging reluctantly in front of him. "Could we just--" he began, turning around to face the shadow directly behind him which had taken the form of a lion. Before he could even blink, a trident was shoved at his face. He cringed back in horror.

"No talking!" Queenie snapped again. She paused her triumphant march to glare at them. "Or I'll have to call my mother to deal with you, Auradon boy."

Doug paled. He didn't know which sounded worse. Meeting Evil Queen and dying by some slow curse or decapitation by the Queen of Hearts. Well, at least the latter would be quick. He couldn't believe he was envisioning his own death scenarios. Unconsciously, he reached for the Dragonfire. Maybe it could help them somehow? Maybe even just as a bargaining chip?

Evie saw where his hand was going and shook her head no. He understood her message perfectly. They were going to see the Evil Queen. Death or no, he wasn't to give up the crystal.

I'm so dead.

"Move!" Queenie snarled. The shadows shoved them forward and the lion growled warningly. Doug was rather surprised to learn that the figures actually had mass. Scientifically speaking, that should have been impossible!

Well, so should a kiss that could magically wake someone from eternal slumber, so he wasn't going to complain too much.

"Doug, come on." Evie held out her hand and he took it cautiously. He could feel Queenie's gaze locked on them, along with a spear at his back. And at that moment, all he could think of was how terrible of an idea it had been to come here. He wondered briefly if he'd ever get to see Auradon or his family again. There was no doubt that the Evil Queen would eliminate him the moment she realized who and what he was.

The troop marched solemnly through the dirty streets. Many curious gazes swiveled towards them, likely recognizing Evie and Queenie and wondering what squabble the two of them had gotten into this time. Some of them even looked as though they pitied the two teens being forced through the city. But there was no doubt that the atmosphere had changed. Queenie was in charge of the Isle now and no one dared to speak against her.

They got closer to the black castle. It stood, towering over the smaller, more insignificant huts surrounding it. Doug thought it looked a bit like something out of a horror movie. One look at Evie's face confirmed his suspicions. This was her mother's castle. Evil Queen was waiting for them. Still, the dwarf couldn't help but marvel at the complex design of the structure's mainframe. Though the Islanders didn't have a lot, they were quite resourceful. Unless one were to look closely, it would be difficult to guess that the castle was made mostly out of rocks and spare pieces of metal.

Is this where Evie lived? Doug's gaze scanned the entire building. He knew his girlfriend had been castle-schooled her entire life before coming to Auradon. But was this really where? In such a deserted part of the city? No friends? No magic? No band? He wondered how she'd done it.

He squeezed her hand tightly as they came to the last street and Doug could see a figure standing on a long balcony, waiting, possibly watching them. "Evie?" Doug hissed, his voice cracking terribly. His eyes met the observer's and, even from where he stood, he could feel the violent fury radiating from her. This had to be her. Evil Queen. Doug suddenly felt small in so many ways.

"Doug..." Evie began, tightening her grip on his hand for a moment before pulling away sharply. Before he could even ask what she was doing, she had already leaped into action, thrusting her hands forwards. Three shadows were sent flying backward into the wall and evaporated. "RUN!" Evie yelled as she charged at Queenie.