Chapter 23: The Point of No Return

Time seemed to come to a screeching halt.

One minute, Evie was standing behind him, just as shocked at the revelation as he. The next, she was taking the curse that had been intended for him. As she hit the ground and Queenie disappeared into a puff of smoke, he felt the terror ripping through his heart as the scream flew out of his mouth, simultaneous with Mal's.

"EVIE!"

He felt his heart shattering over and over. The weight of the truth plummeted to his feet and rooted him to the floor. He couldn't move, couldn't react. All he could do was stand there and stare in utter shock and horror. No... His mind was still scrambling to process it all. She didn't. She wouldn't. It was all a vain attempt to convince himself. She would, in a heartbeat, sacrifice herself to save him. He just couldn't bring himself to believe that she had.

There was a flash of purple as Mal darted past him and threw herself on her knees next to her friend. "Evie? Evie! Oh, what did Queenie do to you? Evie..." She took the girl's hand and glanced up at Doug with tear-filled eyes. "She did this for you," she told him harshly. "She loves you! She saved your life! So don't just stand there like some dumb dwarf! Get over here and help me!"

Her tone was sharp and angry. Doug didn't question it. He rushed to her side and crouched down next to her. "But what can I do?" he whispered, hearing his voice trembling. "I can't control magic, let alone do anything about this!"

"You're the NeoMerlin!" Mal snapped. "You have the power to give life! You have to save her!" He stared at her in panic. "All right," Mal growled, taking a deep breath and calming herself down. "Here." She took his hand and guided him to place it on Evie's forehead. "Take a deep breath," she instructed, noticing the furious blush creeping into his cheeks. "When your magic is activated, you'll feel it. Come on. You got it. Yeah." She tried to give him what he supposed was intended to be a smile. It looked a bit more like a growl.

Doug nodded quickly, trying to still his shaking hands. The Dragonstone was hot in his grip and the heat sent hastened pulses through his body. Mal's right. I can do this, he told himself. He inhaled sharply and closed his eyes, focusing all of his energy toward his hands. Come on. Come on. Work! Evie, I'll save you! Just hold on!

"Yes! Just like that!" Mal whispered, removing her hand now and sitting back, watching in approval.

"I have no idea what I'm doing," Doug confessed quietly.

"Well, whatever it is, keep doing it. I think it's working."

He wanted so badly to roll his eyes, but, other than Evie, Mal was the only one there who would know anything about magic. He had to hope she knew what she was talking about. Great. Really helpful. Okay...here goes nothing. "Evie?" he whispered quietly. "Evie, can you hear me?" He retracted his hand, watching her lifeless form with hope.

"Evie?" Mal joined in, touching her friend's shoulder gently.

The others circled them now. Ben had an arm around Carlos and Jay, steadying them. His gaze was focused on Evie, as were the others'. "Anything?" he asked softly, his eyes flicking toward Mal desperately. The purplette looked up at him and shook her head.

Doug stared. The burning tears pricked at his eyes. It hadn't worked. He hadn't saved her. It hadn't worked. He hadn't been strong enough. It hadn't worked. She's gone. He brushed his nose, reverting to the default of fiddling with his glasses, forgetting they weren't there. He didn't care that he couldn't see. All he cared about was that Evie was lying before him. And he hadn't been able to save her.