Chapter 18: Countdown

The sun had set completely over Auradon by the time the group reached the museum. All members present were fighting burning lungs and were nearing exhaustion as they hit the steps and Evie set to work on the lock on the door. Carlos glanced through the frosted glass windows beside her. The guard was gone. The building lights were on but the place was deserted. "Coast's clear," he hissed to the others.

Evie unlocked the doors and they hurried inside. The VKs immediately headed for the Hall of Villains. Ben and Doug were a bit more hesitant. Probably because they still were not accustomed to breaking rules...such as breaking and entering. Honestly, Carlos didn't like it any more than they did. But they had a job to do. Morgana had to be stopped. Besides, they could apologize to Fairy Godmother later.

"Guys," Evie hissed, her voice echoing off of the walls as she reached the stairs and she and Mal practically raced each other up them. "Come on! This way! Hurry!"

They reached the second floor and raced down the hallway. Mal reached the last room first and skidded to a halt, grabbing Evie and Jay as they raced past, and turning them to face the once threatening room. Carlos took a deep breath, eyeing the statue of his mother a bit warily. Beyond it, he knew, was the locked vault where all of the villain's talismans were kept under lock and key. Including Maleficent's scepter. The one at the school had been a prop, designed on his 3D printer in case a situation just like this had ever arisen. Now, he was glad he had agreed to Ben's suggestion.

"Over here!" Evie called, already at the door, yanking it open and hurrying inside. The others followed. Ben stayed outside to keep watch. Carlos ducked into the room and was almost immediately hit by a blast of cold air. He shivered and inched closer to Mal who was already approaching the stand and her mother's scepter.

"Dragonfires," she ordered, holding out her hand.

They handed the jewels to her and she slowly advanced towards the scepter, pausing only once when the emerald inside began to glow, crackle, and hiss. "Okay," she told herself calmly. "You can do this, Mal. Just a simple fusing spell, right? You've totally got this." And then to the others, "You might want to stand back. I don't know what this might do exactly."

Carlos obeyed, grabbing Jay by the arm and putting his hand on Evie's shoulder, pulling them both away from Mal and the scepter. Doug did not need any encouragement as he nearly outpaced Carlos and headed for the door. At the last minute, the white-haired boy noticed where his friend was going and let go of the others to catch him. "No, no, no," he sighed, grabbing the dwarf and steering him back into the room. "You're as much a part of this as the rest of us. You have to stay here. Ben!" he added, sticking his head out the door. "How does it look out there?"

"All clear so far!" Ben shouted back, giving him a thumbs up from around the bend.

Carlos nodded, and, giving Doug a firm look of stay, he headed back to stand between Evie and Jay, folding his arms and leaning back against the wall, watching Mal who approached the pedestal slowly, setting the stones next to the scepter and closing her eyes, preparing for the spell. I don't know what Mal is planning...or how the Dragonfires are going to work together. But I have no doubt she can pull it off somehow.

Evie, who was not clutching Mal's spellbook, watched her friend nervously and frowned deeply. Carlos could almost feel the powerful bursts of magic emitting from her. He still found it hard to believe that she wasn't the chosen one for the prophecy. And Ben was right. Who else could it be? Not one of them, certainly. They all knew who they were. Their pasts were secrets to no one.

"Do you think this will work?" Evie whispered nervously to him.

He nodded, not looking away from Mal. "Of course it will."