Chapter 14: Viva la the New Queen

"Morgana."

Mal gasped. Even as Queenie said the woman's name, memories were flooding back to her. The name. Everything she'd learned about the wicked sorceress in Badness class when she was younger. Next to Maleficent, Morgana was the most feared villain in all of Auradon, mostly due to her sudden disappearance when Beast imprisoned all the villains. She'd never been caught. And the sign Mal had seen in her spellbook...The sign is hers.

But what is she doing here?

How is she here?

And why is her sign in the museum when she can't possibly be the chosen one?

The woman, Morgana, turned towards Queenie and Evil Queen impatiently. Queenie quickly dropped to one knee and Evie's mother gave a small gesture that was close to a bow. "It took you long enough," she spoke to the two villains, her voice steely and emotionless.

"My apologies, my Queen," Queenie muttered, averting her gaze. "But we ran into a bit of...difficulty." Her gaze fell hatefully on Evie and Doug as they stood up and moved cautiously to join Mal and the others near the back of the room. Mal noticed that Evie's eyes were watering, as though she was crying or struggling to hold back her powers again.

Morgana didn't blink. "I see."

Mal frowned. The woman's body seemed to be made out of thin air or dust. It kept flickering in and out, disappearing and reappearing in a different place. And her feet...she seemed to be standing on a cloud of air. It was a phenomenon that puzzled Mal. Although she'd learned a few things from Maleficent, Mal was far from being as experienced as that. It was...incredible. And terrifying. Definitely terrifying.

"And they have Maleficent's weapon." It wasn't a question.

"W-who is this?" Ben stammered, lifting his sword nervously. He may not have known who this new arrival was, but he was smart enough to know that she was not on their side. "Mal, what's going on?"

"I don't know," Mal admitted honestly. She pointed her own blade at the sorceress. "But that's Morgana. And I think she's here for the Dragonfires."

"Morgana? As in--"

"As in the one your father tried to lock away on this blasted island twenty years ago," Morgana hissed, turning to face him. "Yes."

Mal saw her raise her hand and knew what was going to happen and didn't hesitate. "Evie...DO IT!" She didn't turn around. She didn't have to. The light emitting from the bluenette's body was blatant enough. "Take cover!" she hissed to Ben, shoving him to the ground. At the same time, Carlos grabbed Jane and pushed her down while Lonnie and Jay took cover behind an old couch. Doug threw his arms over his head and ducked down behind Evie, bracing himself for a loud explosion.

"GET DOWN! SHE'S ABOUT TO BLOW!" Queenie shrieked, diving for cover as the Evil Queen did the same. Even though Morgana whipped around, it was far too late. The light burst from Evie and shot towards the sorceress. Mal covered her eyes, expecting the woman to go flying backward like she'd done the first time Evie had used her powers. To her immense shock, and horror, Morgana simply held out her hands and caught the light as though it was nothing more than a baseball, crushing it in between her hands with a small smirk.

"That's it?" she sneered as the teens stared on in shock. "That's all you've got? Tiny magic tricks can't hurt me!"

"Well, try this one on for size!" Jay suddenly burst from hiding and vaulted the couch, holding his glowing Dragonfire in front of him. A second passed, and suddenly a huge ball of fire seemed to shoot from his hand.