Chapter 15: The Secret of the Flame

Ben agreed with Mal. They had to get to Auradon. But how were they going to get there before Morgana? She had a great head start already. And even if they ran all the way back to Auradon Prep, they'd be far too late.

"Yeah, but, Mal," he thought aloud, moving closer to his fiance so he could whisper to her. "How...how are we going to get back? We didn't bring the limo..."

"We don't need the limo," Mal waved his worry off. "The six of us can get to Auradon another way." She turned toward Jane, Lonnie, Uma, Harry, and Gil. "You guys should go on ahead," she told them. "See if you can get back in time to warn everyone."

"Right," Jane said with a nervous nod. "But what are you going to do?"

"We're going first class," Mal answered with a smirk. The others didn't wait for an explanation. Uma took the lead and they took off down the alley at a run. Even before they'd disappeared into the shadows, Mal had already turned back to the five teens standing expectantly around her.

"Mal?" Carlos whispered.

"Mal," Jay added louder. "What are you thinking?"

Mal smirked. "There's something about the Dragonfires that I didn't tell you all. Now I think it's time I showed you what they can really do. Eves?" She turned towards Evie who looked surprised but stepped forward obediently. "Hold out your Dragonfire," Mal instructed, pulling out hers as well. The two stones crackled as they touched. Mal glanced at the others. "Well? What are you waiting for? Dragonfires! Now!"

The others hurried to obey, fumbling around for their stones.

Mal frowned impatiently. "Come on! Come on!" She gestured for them to get a move on. They obeyed. First Carlos stepped up. Then Jay. Then Doug. Then Ben. They all stood in a tight circle, holding out their Dragonfires in a confused fashion.

Ben frowned. What was Mal up to? He knew she must know something about the stones...they had been her mother's after all. Was it safe? Knowing Mal, probably not, but it wasn't like they really had any other option. They certainly couldn't let Morgana destroy Auradon. They had to get there first.

Though how they were going to do that, Ben was still a bit foggy. Nevertheless, he trusted Mal. She had to have a plan. She always did. "Mal?" he questioned. "What are the Dragonfires going to do to help?"

She smirked, eyes flashing emerald green. "Everybody get ready. Spread out!" she added, tearing her Dragonfire away and stepping back as the smoke began to rise around her. She transformed into a dragon in a matter of seconds. But, instead of the smoke going away as it normally did, it burst forward with a little help from Mal's wings and surrounded the teens.

Ben was instantly blinded by the purple haze. He heard Jay laugh gleefully, possibly knowing what was happening, and Doug shriek in absolute terror. Ben didn't know what was going on, but he had a feeling that it was going to be something big. A rumble of thunder echoed throughout the heavens, followed by a tremendous flash of light. Ben fell backward and everything went dark...

He opened his eyes a moment later, gasping and blinking furiously. He found himself lying on his back, staring up at the heavens. The smog was gone and the clearing was once again dark and silent. Silent? "Mal?" he groaned, starting to stand up, feeling his legs shaking underneath him. Make that four legs. Ben gasped, lifting a hand, which had morphed into a scaly foot. He touched his face. It too had grown scaly. And long. Without glancing around, he knew he would find a tail as well. I'm a dragon! he realized. Just like Mal! The only obvious difference was that his scales were green while Mal was purple.