Chapter 26: A 'Mine'r Conundrum

"Sit down," Mal snapped, shoving Queenie down onto a barstool. Celia and Dizzy squealed and jumped back from the villain, wide-eyed, empty breakfast trays in hand. Dizzy glanced over at Evie with a concerned and fearful expression.

"Girls, go find Ben," Evie instructed them gently. She ushered them out of the room, but they really didn't need the encouragement, nearly flying out the door of their own accord. She turned when she reached the door, closing and locking it behind her.

"Speak! How did you find us?" Mal demanded, getting right up in Queenie's face.

"Find out if she knows where Morgana is," Jay suggested.

"A-and Maleficent," Carlos added. "And maybe how they're planning to take over Auradon." Evie and Jay looked at him. "What? Just saying..."

"Okay, you guys?" Mal turned toward them in exasperation. "I've got this." She frowned as her gaze fell on Doug who was standing nervously between Carlos and Evie. He had said nothing since Queenie had arrived. She suspected he was still in shock.

Evie seemed to notice something was off as well. She bumped his shoulder and gave him an encouraging smile. "Hey," she whispered. He looked at her but barely managed more than a half-fake smile.

"You aren't as safe here as you think," Queenie hissed, sitting up straighter. "Morgana. She knows about this place. She's coming for you as we speak. And there's no point of trying to run. She'll just hunt you down." She smirked at them, spinning her chair back and forth, glancing between Mal who was leaning on the island, blocking the others from view, and Doug who was cowering in the corner. Evie stepped in front of her boyfriend protectively.

Mal was not impressed. "So, that's it? You came all this way, let yourself get caught, just to tell us that? Yeah, I don't think so. So...care to try again?"

"I have this." With that, Queenie held up a small object. At first, Mal couldn't tell what it was. Then, her eyes widened at the realization. A Dragon Ring. "It belonged to your mother," she added, holding it out to Doug. He stared, frowning in confusion. "I guess it belongs to you now."

"Wait, hold it!" Mal snapped, stepping between the exchange as Evie cautiously pulled Doug's outstretched hand down with a faint whisper of warning. Mal chuckled slightly, turning to face Queenie. "I don't trust you. And I certainly don't think you're here of your own accord. Morgana sent you, didn't she?"

"I like to think of it as a little more like a white flag of truce," Queenie objected with a shrug. "I'm here, offering to help you take down Morgana and the other villains."

Mal raised an eyebrow. "Oh, really? And why would we believe you? You've done nothing that would make us trust you. Chances are good that you're just a spy, and you're trying to get us to trust you, that way you can report back to Morgana, or, maybe even try to kill Doug yourself!"

"What do you want in return?" Carlos questioned, stepping into the light now. He noticed the looks from Evie and Mal but went on anyway. "If you help us save Auradon, what do you want from us?"

"I want to say here," Queenie answered. "In Auradon. Like Uma, Harry, and Gil. I just want a chance like the rest of you."

"But, Queenie, the barrier is down," Evie pointed out. "You could have come at any time! Why do all of this just for that?"

"The barrier may be down, but that does not mean we're welcome," Queenie fired back. "Some of us want to come to Auradon Prep, to have a chance. Like the other VKs you brought over. Don't the rest of us deserve that opportunity?" She watched Evie pleadingly. Mal didn't trust her, even as Evie seemed to melt a little. It was a well-known fact that Evie was Ben's advisor. If she could wear the girl down, then maybe she could sweet-talk her way into Auradon.