𝘔𝘪𝘥𝘰 || 𝘐'𝘮 𝘚𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘺

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Being back in Kokiri Forest after 7 long years was so surreal. Everything was still the same, except the monsters that now claimed the small village as their own.

So many memories that had been dormant had reawakened. Good ones. Bad ones. Sad ones.

Mostly bad.

Mostly because of Mido. He bullied Link and Y/N for not having their own fairies.

"Sheik told us to go to your 'special place' with Saria...do you remember where that is?" Y/N asked Link with uncertainty. It hadn't been long since they had awoken from their 7-year slumber and Y/N's mind was still hazy.

"Of course, the Sacred Forest Meadow. That's where she taught me her song on the Ocarina," Link smiled faintly at the memory, "let's go."

"Fine, but I hate the Lost Woods. You better know where you're going."

"Of course! 'Map' is my middle name!"

"You don't even know your last name..." Y/N mumbled behind him.

They entered the Lost Woods. Y/N got chills. This reminded her of that time in her childhood when Mido tricked her into getting lost.

"Mido, are you sure? I mean, this isn't a trick, is it?" 10-year-old Y/N asked unsurely. Link was with Saria, so it was just her and Mido.

"What? No! That's all behind me. I'm a changed man!" He flexed his 'muscles' and showed a proud look on his little face.

"Ha, man." Y/N sniggered. Mido growled and glared at her before smirking.

"C'mon, then. Let's go for a walk, huh?"

Oblivious, Y/N agreed, "I'm glad you're changed, Mido. I want to be friends with you." Mido was caught off guard for a second then he thought,' This her revenge, a trick! She doesn't want to be friends.'

"I'll run ahead to make sure it's safe, then I'll tell you which directions to go!" Mido smiled at her.

"Okay." She replied.

Mido walked away, leaving Y/N all alone.

"Forward! Right! Right! Left! Right! Left—" She could no longer hear his voice. All she could hear were the small wisps of fairies that wandered around the woods- but also the eerie laughter of lost Skull Kids.

"Y/N? Are you okay? You've just been standing there for a while, unresponsive."

"Uh, yeah sorry. Um, let's get going. Which way first?"

"Right."

"Left."

"Right."

"Right."

"Mido?!"

"Who are you? How did you get in the woods? Y-You're grown-ups! How do you know my name...?" He was still exactly how they remembered him. Small, with his little green hat and one hell of an attitude.

"Good guess...? Anyway, we need to see Saria." Link said. Y/N remained silent as she looked at the young boy.

"How do you know Saria? What- you think those green tunics will make me think you're Kokiri? Ha! There's no adult Kokiri, we remain children. Although..." His eyes wandered to Y/N, "you do remind me of someone. Someone important to me. But! I can't let you pass unless you prove that you know Saria!" He looked back at Link and crossed his arms in triumph. Link took his ocarina from his pouch and played the joyous and soothing tune of Saria's Song.

"Whaa-! But, that's Saria's Song? Why does a grown-up know her song?" He pondered briefly, tapping his foot, "Fine! I'll let you pass, but I'm not happy about it." He stomped off to the side mumbling. Link went off ahead and offered for her to come too, but she declined.

"I'll wait for a bit." She said. Link nodded in understanding and left.

"W-what do you want, miss? Aren't you going with your friend?" He asked. He sounded so innocent and small, nothing like how she remembers. It's like his demeanour had changed the moment Link left.

"No, I told him I would wait. Are you okay here on your own?" She asked him softly. His cheeks were dusted pink.

"I'm fine. I'm just worried about everybody else. The monsters are scaring them. A-and I can't do anything about it." Small tears began to escape his eyes. He wiped at them with his arm.

"Hey, it's okay. That's what my friend and I are here for. We're here to help you." She knelt down to his height and gently lifted his chin up with her fingers.

"Look at me," Y/N softly, "we're going to help Saria and return the Forest to peace, okay?"

"Y-you remind me of someone. Someone I-I was mean t-to."

"For the last time, neither of you belong here! You don't have fairies, so you're not one of us! Even if a fairy did actually find its way to you both, you wouldn't ever be real Kokiri!"

"Why do you get to be the favourite? You fairyless, friendless, useless—what? What are you? You're not Kokiri, so what are you? Oh, nothing! You're only Link's favourite because he doesn't have a fairy either! Saria only pities you both! The Great Deku Tree had to keep you, he didn't have a choice!"

"What did you do...? The Great Deku Tree...did he...die? Go, leave, and don't come back! I don't care what happens to you! You killed our Guardian! Now go, I never want to see you again!"

"I-I don't know where she is n-now. She l-left a long time a-ago...I never got to say I'm sorry. I hope she isn't d-dead..." He began to full-on cry now, tears cascading down his cheeks in haste. He didn't even bother to wipe them away, he just let them fall as he looked down at the ground sadly.

"Don't worry, Mido. I'm sure she'd forgive you."

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

A/N: I remember writing this one alllll the way back in 2019. Still makes me cry.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪