𝘛𝘗 𝘡𝘦𝘭𝘥𝘢 || 𝘉𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘊𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯 ||

A/N: this oneshot has been re-written. I didn't like it before, so I started again! Zelda is 15 at the beginning of this oneshot, but is 19 once it progresses which I believe is around her canonical age in Twilight Princess?

Y/N loved their Queen.

They loved their Queen with all their heart. Zelda and Y/N had been together for years, their relationship surviving through thick and thin. Throughout the Twilight invasion, Y/N was by Zelda's side fighting for their life and their love. The two grew up together despite being from opposite backgrounds. Y/N's family was poor, not even a single rupee to their name. Y/N didn't even know their last name, or if they had one. All they knew is that they were a street rat, resorting to pickpocketing and stealing from the bakers every week just to survive. That was how their family survived. Until one day, Y/N got caught.

They expected to lose a hand for theft but the young Princess showed mercy. There was no King or Queen just little Princess Zelda, two years Y/N's senior. The deaths of the King and Queen were still fresh on everyone's minds, especially Zelda's. At just age 15 she now had a Kingdom to run. Alone. Until she met Y/N, that is.

Princess Zelda offered Y/N a job at the Castle. It was a humble cleaning role but it would help them and their family out massively. As part of the role, Y/N had to clean Zelda's room daily. Due to this, the pair grew close. Soon, inseparable. 

Three years had passed and slowly, the two began to fall in love. However, there was one worry constantly at the back of Y/N's mind, yet they didn't want to share it with their love interest for fear of ruining everything they'd built with one another. 

Eventually, the day came where they confessed their love. No words were exchanged. Just a gentle, loving kiss. One they had both been craving for a long time. Zelda knew she had a soft spot for Y/N the moment she met them. The way their friendly E/C shone in the sunlight, or how their H/C was always messy despite many attempts to tame it. Zelda knew, as she pressed her lips to Y/N's, she had found the one to rule by her side.

"Zelda," Y/N sighed, "I love you. But... there's something I wish to discuss with you however I fear what it may do to us." Y/N took Zelda's hand in their own, holding it tenderly. 

"Worry not, my love. Nothing you say can break us. I promise." Zelda kissed her partner's hand and gave them a reassuring smile. The smile, however, was not returned. 

"My Princess... I'm afraid my greatest fear may come true. I must ask you a question, and I beg you answer honestly."

"Of course, Y/N."

Y/N paused and took a breath, still holding the Princess' hand. They caressed her hand with their thumb, comforting their lover without saying a word.

"Zelda... do you wish for me to rule by your side?" Their eyes met. Zelda's blue-grey eyes were filled with surprise while Y/N's once lively E/C were filled with sadness and dread. They knew they weren't going to like Zelda's answer.

"Y/N, of course I do. You're my lover and I would want nobody else by my side to rule this Kingdom." 

And just like that, Y/N's world crumbled. Slowly, a tear escaped their eye. Then another. Then another. Soon, they were sobbing. Yet, they still refused any comfort from Zelda.

"Your coronation is in a year. I love you with all my heart, dearest Zelda, but I'm sorry. I don't wish to rule Hyrule."