Trust

Zuko's POV

I was nearly out of the woods both figuratively and literally with my guards and the avatar. That boy I met was odd, not in a way I'm used to being odd though. When I look at him or hear him I don't feel the oddness I feel with uncle and his vague sayings, or the danger I feel when around Zhao, Azula, or even my own father. It does not feel like how I feel with uncle though. I don't know how to describe it, but it's new and rather alarming for me, the closest I can compare it too is when I was around Lu Ten.

I miss him, he wasn't the nicest I admit. He was ambitious and had the ego to match always he talked about how amazing uncle was going to be as fire-lord. I remember the pain I felt hearing he had died, it's why I don't like thinking about it. Why am I even thinking about it? I should be thinking about getting the avatar back to the ship and locked up.

Just as we reached the smaller ship a strange figure came from nowhere. The guards hauled, but I yelled at them. "Get the avatar to the ship! It's just one girl!" I yelled at my crew. The stupid ignorant girl in question smirks at me and got out a three tipped spear. "You sure you want to bet on that?" She asks in challenge. I rolled my eyes at her. "Deal with the peasant, the rest of you get back to the ship before he wakes up!" I know Kai said it would last a hour, but drugs and sedatives have been known to wear off on benders much faster and he's the avatar so he could wake up in any moment. "Ugh momo?"

I growled and turned my head to see the avatar had woken up.

"Get him to the ship!" I yelled at my guards and they ran towards it. "Good choice, wouldn't want them to witnesses a quick defeat for their princey," She grins and charges at me and I was ready. She uses her three tipped spear and catapulted herself at me, but I ducked and covered before shooting fire at her. She uses her spear to deflect it and swings around me as I kicked fire into the air. She dodges again and I get frustrated because she has barely attacked at all and is just deflecting me!

From the corner of my eye I saw her looking at someone, but I don't fall for that. I used her distraction and jumped pinning her to the ground and knocking her three tipped spear out of the way. "You are going to regret this," I scowled at her. "Your not the first one to tell me that," The girl said than moved her wrist and I got a face full of dirty water.

A water bender?! Another fucking water bender!

She used the water from a nearby stream and blasted me into a tree and kept up the barrage blasting me constantly not allowing me the chance to bend or defend myself. "Not so hot now are you?" The water bender asks and I just try to keep my face from being assaulted by the water.

Suddenly the water stops and I collapsed panting for breath. Once I caught it I saw that Kai was fighting the girl with a pair of twin katanas. I watched them fighting. Kai swiped and parried while the girl blocked and dodged. Their fighting went on for a few minutes and I merely watched immersed in their fighting. It looked different though, like there wasn't any anger behind it, any motivation, but before I thought to much on it Kai ultimately won by managing to knock the girl over and pinned her on her back.

"Get off me!" The girl struggles while Kai kept her pinned. I walked over and smiled. "You are useful," I commented impressed by his fighting. Besides it might be nice to have someone my age in the crew. I heard a gust of wind and I looked up to see that the avatar had escaped with the help of the water savages. "No!" I yelled and shot a blast of fire at them. The avatar blast a gust of wind deflecting my blast then blasted at both of us. We got thrown twenty feet in the air and fell in the branches of a tree.

"Nya!" The other waterbender I had known to be called Katara ran over and helped the girl 'Nya' up. "You alright?" She asks. "Yeah, let's just get out of here," Nya said and ran off with the avatar.

"Argh!" I yelled struggling to get out of the branches like Kai. I started burning them and then I fell to the ground on my back and in pain. As I looked up to the sky I was unhappy to see the sky bison leaving which meant any chance to capture the avatar today was gone.

Kai got down and looks at me on the ground. "We'll get them Zuko," he says. "It's prince Zuko," I hissed at him standing up and ignoring the pain in my backside. Uncle came over and was giggling. "What's so funny uncle?" I asked. "You will not believe it prince Zuko," my uncle pulls out a stupid tile with a white lotus flower on it. "The tile was in my sleeve the entire time," He laughs. I huffed in and out a few times before I just snatched it threw the tile as far as possible.

"Let's just get back to the ship," I scowled.

Nya

"We saw what you did back there against the prince that was amazing!" Katara said to her who blushes. "It was nothing much. Honestly I had zero clue what to do really. What held you two up?" I asked. "This guy with these swords showed up and wiped the floor with us! He didn't even need to try," Sokka grumbles clearly upset by their defeat by my brother. "Good thing he wasn't a bender or else that would have hurt," Katara comments.

"Actually he was a bender," I said and they all looked at me. "How do you know that?" Aang asks. "I've seen plenty of benders travelling. After awhile you can tell by their eyes, how they carry themselves, or how they fight," I explained which was true. "My mother used to say that everyone had a spark in their eyes that showed what type of person someone is. No matter what they do, there is something in their eyes that will tell you who they are," I explained sincerely. Aang smiles happy with my words while the water siblings looked more unsure by my idea of a person.

"Don't see why a bender would need a weapon," Katara comments. "Everyone has their fighting style. Besides just because bending is common doesn't mean it's the best form of fighting. Looking down on any weapon is always a weakness," I said. Sokka seemed pleased with this and pulls out a boomerang. "Just like my boomerang!" He said and hugs it like a stuffed animal.

Everyone laughs at him.

Later

"Nya?" Kai whispers into the magic stone thing.

"Kai?" The fire icon glowed a little with Nya's voice. "You in sis?" Kai asks. "I think the older guy Sokka might still be suspicious of me, but Katara and Aang like me," Nya explains. "Good and thanks for battling him earlier gives me a good chance to see what I have to work with. Just remember to stay safe alright? We got no idea what this world is like," Kai warns her.

"I'll be fine," He can practically hear her eye roll. "What about you?" She asks. "I plan to teach him my way of summoning fire. I feel like he's a lot more powerful than he realizes, but doesn't have the right drive yet. I'll work on it," I explained to her.

"Well good luck with that. Remember Kai that's just the first step. The next one is to get him on our side," Nya said. "And I will. Anyway I need to go good night sis love you," Kai said.

"Night Kai and don't go dying while I'm not there to save you," She said. "You know I can't make promises," Kai said and Nya laughs. "Night," "night,"

The tablet stops glowing and Kai stuffs it in his pocket. He turns around and jumps back seeing the old man in front of him and judging by his face he heard that entire conversation.

"I-I can explain," Kai tries cursing at himself for getting caught. "That is a spirit artifact is it not?" Iroh asks Kai. "I guess? A spirit did give it to me," Kai said kind of unsure. "And your goal here is too teach my nephew?" He asks. Kai doesn't know how to respond. Iroj merely gave him a critical side glance.

"Good luck than. My nephew is not the most patient student," before he just leaves Kai alone and confused.