Chapter 7

(UPDATE 02-18-2022)

Palmer Video Log.

Dr. Joilee Reyna James.

July 18, 2459 C E.

After going through a trial by combat, I have earned favor amongst the tribe that calls themselves the Quexamatil. Mantiko, the leader is teaching me the ways of survival. It is for the best. With the ship being equipped with LightWave engines, it will take them about five years to arrive. In the meantime, I must do all I can to learn about this planet through Mantiko's customs.

Every day I can feel my body adapting to the planet's atmosphere. My oxygen intake, stamina, and endurance have improved. Mantiko has shown many beautiful places to hunt and forage for food and medicine. As an agriculturalist, I took advantage to learn about every plant that was edible. I have some slight allergic reactions, but none that were lethal. Mantiko has also taught me a few words from his language.

As far as the planet's environment, I find it breathtaking. The atmosphere is so clear at night, I can even see other planets on the horizon in the pinkish nebula skies. It is a surreal experience to live without the nurturing technology of my world. It kinda makes me wonder was Earth was just as beautiful before our ecosystem collapsed.

*****

Mantiko returned to Joilee's chamber carrying an animal hide pelt full of weaponry the following day. Mantiko stood over her and watched Joilee gracefully slumber. Upon waking up, Joilee was startled by Mantiko glaring at her. It made her feel uneasy, as she feared that he would try to mate with her again.

"Look! I am not that type of woman, so go somewhere else!" Joilee replied.

Mantiko went to the table and spread the rolled animal skin across the surface. Mantiko unction Joilee to come closer. As she got closer to the table, she saw all types of weaponry. She saw weapons similar to the bow and quiver full of arrows, a staff, and a few daggers. Mantiko decides to establish some form of communication, starting with formalities. Mantiko patted his chest.

"Mantiko!" Joilee realized that Mantiko was introducing himself, so she returned the gesture.

"Joilee!" she stated as he patted his chest.

Mantiko nodded before returning his attention to the table. He grabbed an animal pelt and tied it around Joilee. Joilee did not know what to think.

"What are you doing? Joilee asked. Mantiko said a few words while continuing to equip Joilee with the necessary tools for survival. Mantiko put two daggers in her side sheath and put a bag of arrows back. Next, he put the bow in her hand and the arrow sachel on her back.

"Joilee!" Mantiko replied as he made her follow him.

Thirty minutes later, Mantiko took Joilee into the jungle to teach her to hunt. He was teacher Joilee, the use of the bow and arrow! Mantiko saw a four-legged beast the size of a dear.

Mantiko took an arrow from Joilee's quiver and gave it to his protege. Joilee put the arrow to the bow's string and retracted the arrow for a kinetic force.

Joilee pointed the arrow towards the creature and fired a shot. It was horrible as the arrow flew straight into the trees. The beast was startled a bit and moved away. After tracking the animal, Mantiko pointed his arrow and shot the animal in the heart. Mantiko went to the animal, cut a meat piece, and took a chunking bite. He passed a bit to Joilee. She refused.