Chapter 9

Palmer Video Log

Dr. Joilee Reyna James

December 27, 2459

Mantiko and a few tribal warriors, male and female, escorted me to survey the land in a far and unknown territory. I am very excited that now I have found people that can help me adapt to the land. What they say is true. There is strength in numbers. From what I have seen and scanned with my Palmer. Most of the vegetation can be adapted to my diet to make food and medicine. Even the animals are edible as well. Mantiko slaughtered a mammal-like reptile animal and took its eggs. After roasting the animal and on an open fire, we feasted. Even the berries that were the size of apples contained enough vitamins and electrolytes that were good for hydration. However, I would do anything to taste a bottle of purified water.

Mantiko, Joilee, and the tour party walked through the dense foliage for days. Finally, Mantiko led Joilee and his people to a territorial marker. The territorial marker was constructed with wood, glowing stone, and a blue mask with plums made for a crown. At the neck base of the marker were small animal skulls. This was the border marker for the Oxuna tribe. Mantiko and his tribal escort met at the edge of the village. Mantiko waited before he departed as he had something to give to Joilee. One of his tribe men approached Mantiko with an item that is wrapped in an animal pelt. Mantiko took the pelt and walked towards Joilee, and presented it to her with the pelt.

"What is this," Joilee asked. Joilee unwrapped the pelt and saw that the Punisher and her Machete fell beneath the rocky cliff. Mantiko scouts had found it after they captured her. Joilee examined the gun and Machete. After a brief inspection of the Punisher, Joilee's realizes the gu was damaged. If Joilee attempted to use the gun, she would have an incomplete discharge and lose her hand. Joilee could abandon the gun as is. After emptying the bullets of the gun, Joilee entered the self-destruct protocols. Joilee quickly tossed the gun on the ground and watched the gun disintegrate in white phosphorus. Joilee secured Machete to her back with the other weapons that Manitko provided her. Once Joilee was prepared, Mantiko led her and his scout party to the Oxuna territory.

Mantiko stopped as he hesitated before crossing the marker. For generation one from his tribe has crossed the borders unless it was bloodshed. Mantiko's tribe loathe the Oxunan people. However, Joilee was bound by duty to the E.G.C policies of the first contact. Joilee were to establish interspecies relations. Now that Joilee was the only human on Sierra Alpha Prime, it was evident she needed to meet the Oxuna people.

When Mantiko led his people across the territorial marker; however, he told his people to be on alert. Mantiko, especially when the night was approaching. Within five miles traveling inside the Oxuna territory, Mantiko ordered a camp at the base of a cliff wall. Mantiko refused to light and to prevent his escort party from remaining hidden. However, the purplish cosmic sky offered minimum light to see but did not allow detections. Mantiko ordered a few escorts to establish a watched parameter in the tall trees.

The next morning, Joilee was awakened by screams and tribal war cries. Joilee immediately got and grabbed her weapons. The Oxuna tribe surrounded Joilee and her escort. Jembere emerged from the foliage and walked to Mantiko.

"You dare enter my territory without permission," Jembere belligerently.

"You asked us to come; now you dare stand offended," Mantiko yelled. Jembere looked at Joilee and returned his death-piercing gaze at Mantiko. Jembere points to Joilee!

"You can leave our territory. However, she stays!"

"I will not as she is entrusted in my care!"
"And who says so!"

"I say so. I kill you before you allow me to take her."

"If it's blood you want, then you shall have it!"

Mantiko draws their daggers and begins to fight. Joilee knew by Jembere's gesture. They were going to spill blood over her.

"Stop this. No one needs to fight over me," Joilee yelled. She knew by Jembere.

Mantiko and Jembere took stabs and swipes at each other while the tribal members cheered for their respected chiefs. Mantiko manages to get the upper hand on Jembere as he knocks the dagger out of his hand, and Spartan kicks him to the back of the cliff wall. Mantiko was full of rage; just as he was about to take the killing blow, Joilee jumps in front of Jembere, taking the hit for him. Joilee looked down, seeing that Mantiko's blade had penetrated her abdomen.

"Joilee...What have you done," Mantiko panicked.
"No one kills over me," Joilee faintly replied

"Look what you've done," Mantiko replied as he jumped in Jembere's face. Jembere pushed Mantiko back.

"IT was your blade that plunged into her.

The two argued in a language that Joilee did not understand. She learned about 200 words from hand gestures and to draw in the dirt, not enough to make out a cohesive understanding.

As Joilee lays on the ground bleeding out. Mantiko holds her with fearful eyes. Joilee was shaking as her vision was getting blurred. Joilee felt that life was slipping. That was it for her. This was the end. However, one member of the Oxuna tribe had other plans for Joilee. An Oxuna woman pushes her way into the crowd that stands over Joilee. She is dressed similar to Mantiko's mother in priestly attire; however, she is accustomed to the culture of the Oxuna tribe. She is completely covered with over garment with tribal prints at the base of the dress's short sleeve, neck, and knee. She also wears sandals. Her name is Jerexunale.

Jerexunale kneels to Joilee and covers her hand with Joilee's blood.

"What are you doing," Joilee faintly asked.

Jerenxunale chants words in their language until Joilee's blood on her hand glows. Then, she put her hand over Joilee's wound, which causes it to close. Joilee scream out in pain.

"She is killing her," Mantiko attempts to stop her, but Jemebre jumps in front of him.

"No, she is saving her!"

The Joilee wound completely heals with slight scarring. When the Jerexunale was done, the blood on Joilee hand had turned to burnt rust color crystals. Jerexunale had collected the blood shards into a clear glass-like vile. Joilee had passed out from the ordeal.