9

Harry drove fast down the city streets, speeding up through every yellow light. I hated being in the car with him for the obvious reason that he was a horrible driver, but also because it was always silent. Not even a soft hum of the radio. I looked over seeing that he was gripping the wheel tightly with one hand and fiddling with an unlit cigarette with the other. I looked away, my attention turning to the unfamiliar streets passing through the windows.

"Where are we going I thought we were getting my clothes?" I asked.

"We are." He answered plainly.

"Well this isn't the direction of my apartment."

"I know." He simply said placing the cigarette between his lips.

I glowered at him my eyebrows pulling closer together. "Ok, so where are we going? I have clothes at home." I spoke.

We rolled to a stop at the red light and he looked at me, glancing me over. "Considering you were planning to wear this, no you do not have clothes at home."

I sighed, knowing that this was not a battle I wanted to spend my energy on. Instead I focused my attention on my phone buzzing in my lap. I pulled it from my bag seeing a few missed messages from Caroline and Celia. All texts that were wondering where I've been. I sighed, typing out the same "I'm okay, going out with an old friend tonight." message before sending it to both of them. Harry turned quickly down the next road, weaving in and out of traffic before slowing down to pull up in front of a small boutique that had several small tight dresses in the window.

I gulped looking at all of the small clothing on the racks when we stepped into the shop. Most of the clothes were black or dark colors, with the exception of the few bright red or shimmery ones. I scanned over the store seeing dresses that I would never have the confidence to wear. I snapped out of my gaze when I heard a woman clear her throat.

"Can I help you two?" She spoke.

I looked over at Harry for him to speak and then back to the woman. I think she could sense my stress and how overwhelmed I was because she looked at me carefully almost to ask me if I was alright. Before I could open my mouth I felt Harry's hand slide around me and rest gently on my waist pulling me closer to his side.

"Uh yes, my girlfriend is looking for a new dress. Wanted to treat her tonight." He smirked at the woman.

I looked at him confused but when he shot me a glare I forced a smile at the woman. He must've noticed her eyeing me, ready to call the police as if I'd been kidnapped. If only she knew the half of it. I placed my hand on his chest patting it twice.

"He spoils me." I spoke with a small laugh I tried so hard to make sound believable.

The woman nodded. "Ah well yes I have a selection back here if you'd like to take a look."

"That won't be necessary Janet." Harry spoke rather harshly, glancing down at her name tag. "Can I call you Janet?"

She nodded briefly. "I'll be in the back if you need any help." She spoke softly before turning on her heels and walking towards the back of the store.

Once she was out of sight I immediatley lost the smile and pushed myself from Harry's side. He gave me a slight smart ass smirk before walking towards one of the racks and thumbing through the clothes. I turned to a rack farther from him and looked through all the small black dresses and skirts. I spent about 15 minutes picking through the clothes only finding two options that I actually felt comfortable in but doubted Harry would approve of because of their modesty. To be honest I never owned clothes like this, my parents would go into cardiac arrest if they saw the clothes in this store. My wardrobe was supplied to me by my mother and rarely was I ever allowed to buy clothes on my own. Harry approached me again snapping me out of my thoughts as he plopped down several hangers of clothes into my hands. I stumbled back a bit trying to make sure no garment fell to the floor.