28

Davina's POV

When we arrived back at the hotel that evening I thought for sure the day was over. I had somewhat forced Harry onto the Ferris wheel despite his fear of heights and of course with my luck we got stuck at the very top. I had also confronted him about his drug problem, after admitting to him that I would stop prying into his personal life, something I clearly was doing too often. He had calmed down significantly since we returned but I just knew that it ruined the day. When he left, informing me that he was going to work out in the gym downstairs, it confirmed my thoughts that he was upset with me. I couldn't really blame him though.

I sat in the room watching reruns for almost three hours before I heard the door unlock and swing open. I sat up against the headboard, still a tinge of anxiety in my stomach that it could possibly be someone besides Harry. But when he walked in, a towel around his neck, hair pushed back with a hairband, I sighed, instantly relieved. His headphones were still on, blaring music but when his eyes caught mine watching him, he slid them down and around his neck, before pausing the music. He looked at me curiously as if to ask if everything was alright, even though I knew he wouldn't ask it.

"I'm sorry for earlier," I spoke, cutting to the chase.

"Why are you apologizing?" He asked.

I shrugged slightly, not really wanting to recount the entire day's events. "I made you uncomfortable and I'm sorry."

"I'm not uncomfortable. I'm quite comfortable in fact." He shrugged, wiping the back of his neck with his gym towel.

At that I gave a short smile, knowing that he probably was upset but just didn't want to admit it. Or maybe he wasn't upset, and I was just used to apologizing to him whenever I thought I said or did the wrong thing. He was always just so confusing. I could never gauge what would set him off and I hated it. That was partially why I tried so hard to learn about his life so that maybe I could understand why he acted the way he did at times. I wanted nothing more than to just drive through the forest that lived inside his head and try to make sense of him as a person. All I wanted was to know him.

"Ok, well are you hungry then? I thought maybe we could go grab food and maybe hit some of the bars?" I asked, wary.

I wasn't quite sure if the day was ruined or if we could pick up our "tour" where it was left off. He had a considerable amount of time to cool off and from his demeanor, it seems it worked.

He had begun taking off his shirt and tossed it to the dresser when he nodded.

"Yeah-let me just shower quick." He spoke, making his way to the bathroom.

I couldn't help me look at his back again, seeing the faint scars littered on his back. I didn't want to bring it up to him but I couldn't help but want to know who did this to him. I bit my tongue and got up, beginning to get ready myself. I riffled through my bag, sorting through the clothes that I had carelessly thrown in before leaving Holmes Chapel. I hadn't known how long we'd be gone so I really just threw in everything I brought with me, only leaving a few items back at his mom's house. Now thinking about it, I was hoping we were stopping there before going to New York City so I could grab them.

After trying on countless different combinations of outfits, I settled on my fitted short-sleeved black dress and accessorized accordingly with gold jewelry. I slid on a pair of strappy heels and began fluffing my hair, trying to get it to fall a way I liked. I don't know why but for some reason I found myself putting more effort into how I looked tonight. I looked myself over in the mirror, semi satisfied with how I looked, still knowing that I didn't have many options, this would have to do. I touched up my makeup, making my eyes pop a bit more, and added some color to my lips as Harry walked in from the closet dressed in a more casual black suit, of course, with a black button-down. Three buttons were undone at the top, revealing his chest where his cross necklace rested in between the two tattooed birds. His ringed fingers fiddled with his jacket for a bit before he finally looked at me. I was standing awkwardly near the end of the bed, playing with the bracelet on my wrist. I watched his adam's apple bob up and down as he swallowed harshly and cleared his throat.