13

We were at the bar for what felt like hours waiting for Gray to show up. I sat at the bar top picking at my finger nails while Harry waited outside, probably working his way through an entire pack of cigarettes. When the doors opened I didn't even bother turning to look at him. My mind was everywhere this morning and I had a pit in my stomach, wondering how I was going to convince this man that I didn't steal any money. I had no alibi except Harry and with how I snapped at him last night, it wasn't likely that he would defend me. He still hadn't told me his plan that he said he had, and at this point it felt like the plan was non existent.

Harry cleared his throat at which I turned and saw him standing with Gray, expectedly. I instantly hopped off the bar stool, almost stumbling as I made my way to them. I stood in front of Gray, trying to avoid his eye contact as much as possible. He was incredibly intimidating and I couldn't hold his gaze for more than three seconds at a time without feeling like I would throw up.

"Let's sit." He spoke gesturing towards one of the tables nearby.

I nodded my head following his order. We all sat at the round table, Harry to my left and Gray sitting in front of both of us. He brought his hands together and rested them on the end of the table. I looked to Harry catching him examining my face. His face was taught with mixed emotion. Anger? Anxiety? I couldn't tell. He looked away, letting his gaze fall towards Gray instead. I opened my mouth to begin talking, to defend myself in hopes that I wouldn't be killed right in this moment. Before I even took a breath to begin speaking, the table shook as a thick bag of cash and coins slammed down onto the table. My eyes widened as I looked to Harry who seemed to also have a surprised, yet confused look on his face.

"This is all the cash, to the exact cent, that went missing the other night." Gray spoke, his voice low and intimidating.

"Found it in Maricella's apartment. Stashed under her mattress." He added.

My stomach lurched at both relief but also concern at how they even got into her apartment. In my head I imagined big burly men kicking down her door and destroying her place until they found the money. Then I instantly thought of my apartment and Celia. Did they destroy my place to try to find the money that I didn't steal? Is that why Harry kept me at his place? My pulse picked up and all I wanted to do was rush back to my apartment.

I swallowed harshly, my eyes meeting Gray's as he chuckled to himself.

"Relax princess, you're in the clear. For now at least."

"What do you mean for now?" I asked.

"Well, you did still leave the fight early. That wasn't part of our agreement." He reprimanded, shaking his head.

He leaned forward a bit, keeping his eyes on my face. I looked away feeling my chest tighten as he drew closer. He fiddled with something in his pocket briefly before bringing his hand, with a cigarette now perched in between his fingers, to his mouth. Once lit, he puffed out a cloud of smoke in the other direction before folding his hands together again against the table.

"I wasn't feeling well- I..." I started.

Harry's voice emerged over mine and I snapped my mouth shut.

"She was assaulted. By some fucking bastard in the crowd." Harry spoke, his words harsh and biting.

Gray clicked his tongue, shaking his head again. I looked over at Harry, seeing his jaw clenched tight, eyeing Gray with furrowed brows. I didn't expect him to tell Gray the truth of what actually happened. Part of me wished he had just left it out. I was embarrassed. But the other part of me felt strangely grateful. I pushed down the feeling so deep until I didn't feel it anymore. I didn't want to be grateful for Harry. I looked back at Gray, watching as he eyed me carefully. I looked down, wrapping the leather jacket tighter around my body, covering any exposed skin that had been previously showing.