30

Davina's POV

3 months later

A bead of sweat fell off my forehead as I tried to lift the last cardboard moving box from the trunk and onto the sidewalk in the June heat. Caroline came bounding down the steps of the building to help assist me with the last box that had to be carried into my new apartment. I shut the trunk with my elbow and walked with her towards the entrance. I had signed this lease about three weeks after I left London when I finally looked into my account to see how much money was wired. It was beyond what I imagined and I was able to replace the items from my old apartment and put down three months of rent up-front.

This new place wasn't anything glamorous, it was only a few blocks from my old apartment but in a nicer neighborhood and I didn't need a roommate. Not that I didn't like Celia, but I felt I had traumatized her enough, with the whole invasion, and she had even moved too before I had signed my lease. I still kept in touch with her however and she, Caroline, and I had been hanging out frequently together. I had gone back to work, consistently this time, with no interruptions or situations to take me away from it and things felt normal as if the events that happened three months ago were merely just a nightmare and I had finally woken up.

After not hearing a single thing from Harry, in a spiteful state, I had told Caroline everything. From him being involved in an illegal fighting ring to almost losing my life and fleeing to England. I sat in her apartment, crying and angrily telling her how my life had turned to shit. I told her how the one person who I thought was on my side, abandoned me in London after spreading me open and making me feel like I was important. She swore not to call the cops or tell anyone else, at my plea and she hasn't brought it up since. But telling her lifted something off of me. I no longer had to carry this burden all by myself. And although his silence came out of nowhere, I no longer held a grudge. I reasoned with myself that all the progress that I thought I was making with him was merely in my head and he had only wanted to get me in bed after everything was said and done. I deleted his number from my phone and focused on getting my life back together.

We both placed the last moving box down on the kitchen counter and I looked out into the living room seeing pieces of furniture partially put together, the remaining boxes opened and items placed on the floor. I sighed, merely just thinking about all the unpacking I had to do but I felt good. Everything felt fresh and optimistic.

"Look at you, you're beaming." Caroline spoke, giving me a side squeeze.

I smiled, taking in the new scenery. I was incredibly excited about a new place, a new start and more importantly a newfound freedom. Sure there were times where I was paranoid. At one point I was convinced I had a stalker. I had been returning from work one day, on the subway, when a man in a black coat watched me carefully. I thought nothing of it until I kept seeing him on my way home from work. But eventually I chalked it up to us both having the same commute, which wasn't abnormal in the city. It was when he stopped taking the train that I realized I was utterly paranoid. Mere coincidences to me felt planned. But I didn't let myself dwell on it any longer, because I was no longer in danger. The ties were cut and I was free.

"I feel good. Things are good." I spoke, nodding.

She smiled and made her way into the living room, opening up some boxes and taking items out. We set up my bedroom first, taking almost four hours to get it to my liking and then started making progress in the kitchen. We were organizing the cabinets and drawers when my phone began ringing, catching my attention. I hurried over to the newly assembled coffee table in the living room and picked up my buzzing phone.

Unknown Caller

I clicked answer, putting the phone to my ear waiting for a telemarketer to begin speaking. There was silence however and growing impatient I barked a "Hello?" into the phone. Almost moments later the line dropped.