16

TW Graphic descriptions/depictions of violence and fighting

--

Anticipation. Utter dread. It was all I was feeling as the fight drew closer. I had been bartending and collecting bets for the past two hours with the help other bartenders. Maricella was no where to be found which only made me feel sick at the possibility of what they did to her when they found out she stole the money. When we got to the venue Harry instantly peeled off disappearing for the rest of the night. I didn't expect him to hang around considering he was fighting tonight. So far everything was going as smooth as it could possibly be going but I was still grateful that the rush had been slowing down leaving only a few stragglers at the bar sipping their drinks.

I was wiping down the bar and recounting the cash when I flinched at the sound of a screeching microphone. I heard a man clear his throat before his voice came full volume through the speakers. I stood tiptoed peeking over the crowd to see that the ring was now illuminated and people were gathering around it. It wasn't much of a ring, but just an open space with taped marking its perimeter on the concrete. No mats, no railings or padding of any kind. I placed the cash securely back into the box after counting and placed it under the counter while the crowd went quiet, only a few small conversations carried around the room but soon subsided when the man began talking.

"Ladies and gentlemen....let's begin!" He called out.

His voice was loud, booming throughout the room, capturing everyones attention. Not a single person took their eyes off of him. People began cheering and clapping at his words. I noticed that he was dressed the same as everyone else, clothed in a pristine suit, slicked back hair and impeccable posture. It was like something out of a horror movie. The elite and most wealthy New Yorkers betting on two men to pummel each other possibly to death or serious injury. I've watched boxing before so I knew somewhat to expect but considering that this was highly illegal, there was definitely something that I was missing.

"Tonight is a special match folks! I'm sure we all remember the 2019 fight." He called out snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Let's make some noise for reigning champion, Harry Styles!" He shouted.

The crowd erupted in cheers and hollers as the announcer stepped outside the taped border. I pushed my self up higher against the bar top, trying to see over the crowd as they continued cheering. As people shuffled around to get closer to the ring I got a clear view of Harry as he walked out slowly, a tall brunette clad in a mini skirt and bra at his side. He was dressed in only a pair of black shorts and sneakers, with a white towel hanging around his neck. I noticed that his hands, that were wrapped around the woman's waist weren't taped or protected in any way just like the rest of his body. He looked up sliding the towel off of his neck and tossed it to the side, letting it land practically right at the announcers feet. He eyed the crowd, his eyebrows pulled together and a smug look on his face. I watched as he let go of the brunettes waist, motioning her to move out of his way. She obeyed, leaving the ring and disappeared into the crowd. His chest puffed out as he took several breaths and moved his neck side to side releasing the tension from his body. He slid a guard into his mouth before jumping up and down a few times, shaking out his arms.

The crowd fell quieter, anticipating the announcers voice before he called out. "And Boyd Brooks!"

Cheers erupted again as a tall bulky man emerged in the ring. He was much larger in comparison to Harry. From what I've seen Harry was fit. He had large arms and a toned physique but in comparison to this man, he looked scrawny. A new pit in my stomach formed realizing that this fight would be more gruesome than I had thought. Harry and Boyd stood toe to toe, staring each other down as the crowd still went wild.