Chapter 9

(what's wrong)

(what's wrong)

-----

She's twisted like a rope,
that is wrapped around his throat

-----

Heavy footsteps were all I could hear amidst the dark, quiet street. I was running, but unaware of where I was leading to.

The bag bounced with my sprints. Cold breeze pressed against my sweaty body giving me constant chills. I hugged my bag closer.

It hurts to run with an empty stomach, to use up my leftover energy.

I twisted my ankle and tripped. I was still paranoid to register what happened.

Who was he?

What happened?

Why is this happening to me?

My face smashed on the ground. It always suffers the most in every calamity that strikes. The shock of falling made me realise that I was running in a totally wrong direction. Lynn's house was in the opposite direction, above the hill.

I panted heavily as I threw myself there, in the middle of a road. I coughed due to the dryness in my throat which later echoed through the deserted streets. Calming myself, I gazed the crest of the hill and then back to the dark road that led further.

I heard something walking in my direction, or maybe a person.

It wouldn't be wise to just lay there at this hour. I had to get up. But my legs revolted. They weren't ready to lift my weight up.

"Oh god. I can't even pick myself up."

"Is someone there?"

My fatigued legs made me forget that someone was coming in my direction. I cursed involuntarily when I felt a strong flash being shone right into my eyes.

"Ah I'm sorry but I'm not some thief." I tried to block the flash from blinding me.

I didn't want to be misunderstood and labeled as a thief. It seemed like whosoever it was believed my words and switched off the flashlight they were holding.

"Why are you out so late? You don't look so well either? Did you run?"

The person came forward and squatted down to my level.

The little amount of street light did help me examine his features. A guy, much older than me. His eyes were cold and tired just like his words. It seemed like he was suffering from some massive insomnia to have those huge eye bags decorating his face.

"Yeah. A-um a dog was chasing me."

I lied.

"Why did you even come out so late?"