Chapter 3 (edited)

Noah

She had always been a pain in the ass.

I still remember the first time she got me into serious trouble with both the school and my parents. I had gotten detention and grounded for so long, I almost forgot what the outside world looked like. Looking back, it was as if I was doing time for a crime. Well, the crime was committed, but I couldn't have felt more satisfied with myself. I was so adamant about the righteousness of my actions, I was on the edge of feeling pride.

I remember I got a long lecture from my parents about how ashamed, embarrassed, and disappointed they were in me. They told me I had to apologize to everyone, and especially to Marcus, but all of these were just words to me.

I wasn't against admitting my wrongs and apologizing for them when I hurt someone's feelings. My parents, though, desperately wanted me to be remorseful about something I wasn't, and my predatory instincts wouldn't even allow me to pretend. Actually, when I woke up the next day, I realized I hadn't made it clear enough that she was off-limits to the boy. The more I thought about it, the more I found a good idea to rectify the situation. So, I got up earlier than usual, got dressed, and before I went to school, I visited him. And when I say "visited" him, I mean more like waiting for him outside of his house to have a harmless exchange.

All I can say about that morning is that he and I, together, concluded it wouldn't be wise on his part to date her. If my memory serves me well, being a werewolf didn't have much to do with this mutual decision, but it was mentioned once or twice casually. I think I commented on not liking repeating myself. It was hinted that I was forgiven for the unfortunate and incidental events of the previous day and, from that point on, we'd be good friends. Of course, not in so many words, but I did pat him in the back. Softly. In a very friendly way...

She always drove me insane, but even then Amara Miller wasn't such a pain.

After graduating high school, I decided to go to a community university. My hopes weren't exactly high, I wasn't stupid, I knew it would be a challenge at best. But I was optimistic enough to think I could do it, and succeed at getting a degree as an architect. But my first year didn't go as I planned, and eventually, I dropped out. I didn't think they wanted me to stay anyway. Maybe it was that specific uni, or it was my dyslexia, but I didn't gather they knew how to handle people with my condition. And reading, writing, and studying were more than just difficult. Throw someone with a learning disability in an outdated and fast-paced environment, and you have the perfect recipe for disaster. I know that's what my parents thought when I told them I was quitting and returning, and I have a feeling they already knew the outcome before I even announced I was going to study.

When I returned, though, I moved out right away, got a job in construction, and started building my own house with the skill and perspective I gained from work. I know my parents would've liked me to live with them for longer, but the truth was their life wasn't my own. And for a house so beautiful, expensive, and clean as theirs, it always lacked warmth. So, I left them to their life and started considering my own.

Life for the next three years had its ordinary challenges but it was quiet. I know that for some, my life seemed boring and quiet, but for me having a house in an almost deserted place, near the forest, was what I needed, it had become my safe place. I still went out with my friends, but not as frequently as I used to. Once in a while, I visited them, and every so often they returned the favor. They usually simply dropped by, there wasn't any need to call, they knew I was on my own, unlike Matt that had a girl that he had been dating for three years, and Justin that was having fun being single, going out with different girls.