𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘰 𝘵𝘰 𝘫𝘢𝘪𝘭 pt.1

♥ ♥ ♥

"I still don't get it though" Heyward told me, sitting down on a chair. I passed him a beer from the cooler next to me and dangled my bare feet in the water.

"What?" I asked as I felt all my tiredness washing away with the water splashing my feet. Pope's dad let out a small chuckle. "Why you're hanging out with these stupid kids? You're the brightest kid on the Outer Banks Y/n, but you still settle for a bunch of rats from the Cut" "Mr. Heyward, in between those rats there's your son too!" I protested with a loud snigger. He shrugged it off as if it was nothing even though we all knew he was so proud of Pope.

"Besides,, Kiara's a Kook," I added proudly. "She sure is" he replied with a tone I didn't quite get. I decided to ignore it and turned my head around, admiring the astonishing view.

"You must really like him" Heyward said in a soft tone. I could only think of one person he was referring to. A childish smile appeared on my face.

"I do," I confessed, covering my face with my hair. 

"Speak of the devil" he then said and I heard him getting up. I slid my shoes back on and followed his gaze until my eyes landed on a small white boat, approaching from the marsh. My body tingled with happiness as Pope started to dock the boat safely.

JJ pulled the boat closer to the dock and jumped off of it, followed by Pope.

"You are half an hour late! What did you do? You stopped to take a nap, you lazy sons of bitches!" Heyward scolded the boys as Pope was handing him the money. I giggled a little but my happiness faded away as soon as I sensed the tension between my friends. I faked a smile until Heyward went away and then snapped my head towards the guys. "Are you guys okay?"

JJ looked at me but stayed silent and then motioned something to Pope whom the second after, took off his hat revealing a deep cut on his forehead. I put my hands on my mouth, stopping myself from shouting. "Jesus Christ! What the hell happened??!"

"Tell her" JJ said as he was finishing docking the boat. Pope looked at me and took a deep breath before speaking. "Topper and Rafe jumped me"

I didn't need any more information. Rage started boiling in my blood.

"You gotta be kidding me" I growled under my teeth, clenching my fists.

"They wanted the beers but I told them they'd have to pay for them and well.. Rafe didn't like that" Pope explained.

"I'm gonna kill them"

"Don't worry, Topper's mom will probably take care of that," JJ said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. His touch instantly relaxed my tensed muscles, as always. I flashed him a confused look while Pope almost killed him with his eyes.

"She won't tell" JJ reassured his friend with a decisive nod. Pope looked at me for a couple of seconds in complete silence. He was starting to scare me.

"Won't tell what? Pope you're scaring me dude"

"Y/n, I need you to promise me you won't tell a soul" he told me as serious as ever. I nodded, eager to know what the hell happened.

"I flunked Topper's wakesetter"

"You did what?!??" I ask-shouted, eyes wide open. Of course those assholes deserved it but this was no egg prank. He could actually get arrested!

"Hey, they got what was coming to them,"  JJ said as they started walking to the shore.

"I'm sure JJ. I'm not disagreeing with you but this is a serious felony. He could get arrested!" I said, trying to speak some sense into them. Pope started to feel really nervous.