Issue 19: Power Play

"You're such a stupid asshole!"

"My IQ says otherwise but go off, I guess." I told Mercy as I sat in Powergirl's cell waiting for her to wake up. I had taken the liberty of Powergirl-proofing the room, but if what I heard wasn't correct I also put her in one of Mr. Luthor's super prisons he made specifically to hold Superman and his family, with lighting that admitted rays similar to that of Krypton's red sun giving the room a red tint, plus some Kryptonite in the pocket if all else fails. Mercy was standing by the door of the room. My attention was on Power Girl however, watching as she rested. She was set to wake up any minute now.

"Instead of taking down a portal straight to an Earth fighting off fucking Darkseid, you jump in and attempt to lure out a Kryptonian while their entire Justice League is there with her!?"

"I didn't attempt, I got the girl and no one in the Circle got hurt."

"What about all those cuts you gave yourself!?"

"Just flesh wounds. Besides, I can play the ones visual off as razor blade cuts from shaving and the ones on my arms will be hidden while they heal." I got up from my chair to now look at Mercy and meet her at eye level.

"And what did you cut yourself with!? A rusty knife!? What if you get tetanus!?"

"What? How dumb do you think I am to take a rusty object to cut myself with?"

"The entire basis of this conversation is how dumb I think you are!"

"Wait a minute... wow, Mercy Graves does have a heart. She's worried about me." I began to walk over towards her. I could tell she was angry by the way she stood with both fists clenched.

"Oh shut the fuck up! I'm still your bodyguard, I have to protect you from yourself and your retardation, too!"

"Why can't you admit that you care for me more than in just a business sense?"

"Did you hit your head in the other Earth!?"

"I can easily admit I care for you on more than just a professional level."

"I-... what?"

"You heard me. I'm not gonna pretend I don't have any form of affection towards you. After all, you're my best friend."

"...Y-You're fucking with me now."

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. Could you really blame me, though? You're so cute when you get flustered." I told her as I moved a stray hair off of her forehead and to the side. I then cupped her chin and raised her head up to look at me and I could swear that she shuddered at this action. I wonder if this will make her melt. I thought to myself as I started to lean in to a kiss before Power Girl groaned. I turned over to see her begin to wake up. "One of the sleeping beauties are awake." I said half to myself before letting go of Mercy and walking back over to my seat. Power Girl slowly rose up and rubbed her neck on the injection point. Mercy turned around and it seemed to her the wall got a whole lot more interesting.

"W...where am I?... And why am I covered in tree branches?" She asked.

"Forgive me, I got some intel you had a weakness to wood or something like that. I figured it was too stupid to be true but better safe then sorry. Maybe it's another earth thing, the Multiverse can be a bitch." I explained to her. She focused in on me and narrowed her eyes.

"You!" She shouted before going to reach for me only to fall out of bed. She then started to pull herself up. "Why did you attack me!? Where are we!? What about the Apokolips War!?" She then threw a punch only to miss wildly and fall back into bed. "And why can't I hit you!?"