Issue 10: A Heated Confrontation

"Mercy don't try to fight back. I know you can take them down but in the process you'll either get yourself or more importantly, me shot." I said. As I sat there unfazed out came Amanda Waller.

"You've got a lot of balls, (L,N)." Waller told me.

"I beg your pardon?"

"You don't think it was stupid to call me asking about Louise Lincoln ten minutes before a break in at my base for Task Force X with ended with the raiding of the empty cell in which the remains of Lincoln just so happened to be in!?"

"Oh. I see what happened. Ms. Waller I think you misunderstood the nature of my intentions when I called you. I was afraid this would happen and wanted to collaborate further but you hung up on me and told me you never wanted to hear my voice again."

"What could you hypothetically know that I didn't that would somehow explain the extreme coincidence that has brought death to your doorstep?"

"As the new leader of Lex Corp. I want to help repay the company's debt to the world by putting our resources into a fight on crime. With said resources we've discovered a new threat known as the Vicious Circle. They have been experimenting with the revival of the dead and were looking to start recruiting dead metahumans to aid them. The first ones being Vertigo and Killer Frost. We were able to stop the resurrection of Vertigo by ambushing them at the mass grave that is now Gorilla City. However we were trying to find Lincoln before they did and unfortunately it seems we didn't."

"And you expect me to just believe this bullshit that not only did a criminal organization rise from underneath our noses but they also were able to break into the most secure supermax prison on the entire Eastern Hemisphere?"

"Mr. (L,N), I believe our men have been able to find the Vicious Circle's- Oh my goodness!" I turned my head and saw a Lex Corp. employee that I had actually never seen before. She wore what looked like a pink variation of Mercy's secretary outfit with white stripes. Guns preceded to point at her before Waller said "Hold your fire!"

"Who the hell...?" I whispered under my breath.

"I-I found out the Circle somehow hired Silver Banshee to... to... wh-who are you people?" The girl asked petrified.

"The Vicious Circle. Were you about to say that they hired Silver Banshee to locate Louise Lincoln's body?" Amanda Waller asked.

"Y-yes!" The girl said. Waller looked over at me.

"Looks like our work here is done. You're free to go for now, (L,N). However, I want to know everything you find out about this so called Vicious Circle of yours."

"Hold on a second, you just barge into my office and stick at least two dozen guns in the faces of me and my assistant and now you're giving me orders after you find out I'm not guilty of the baseless accusations you accused me of?"

"Precisely. Have a good evening Mr. (L,N). Although, if you interfere with government affairs again and don't notify me why, there will be consequences." Waller said as her men started to clear out. Once they were all gone I slumped back into my chair. "How the hell are they the biggest secret in America when they break into the biggest building in the most populated city in America?"

"Are you alright, (Y,N)?" Mercy asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why? You decide to start caring all of the sudden?" I asked. Mercy lightly growled at me.

"I didn't start caring, dumbass!"

"You're welcome by the way. Couldn't be left alone for a day without destroying this new group of yours?" I looked over at the girl in pink and saw a ring on her finger flash before her secretary clothes became Star Sapphire's attire.

"Oh look who decided to show up." I said.

"Just in time, too. It looks like you were about to have your head blown off by a superior leader."

"What makes you think Waller's a better leader than I am!?"

"Do I have to remind you of your idiotic gender every single time?" Star Sapphire asked.

"Wow you're real fun aren't you?" I said agitatedly. "Listen, Sister, you don't want to mess with me right now. I am not in the mood." Star Sapphire let out a "hmph" and crossed her arms.

"So where's the supposed big base?"

"Mercy'll take you to it. I need to be alone. If one more 'higher power' leaves me with some sort of threat I'm going to jump out of this god damn building." I said rubbing my temples. Mercy was looking at me with a look foreign to her face. Concern? She pulled out a Walky talky.

"Hey, Roulette? Do me a favor. I need you to take Star Sapphire to one of the cells downstairs and make her feel at home."

"Cell?" Star repeated.

"Relax. Yours is nothing like Killer Frost's." I said.

"You were able to obtain Caitlin Snow's services? And here I thought you'd be incompetent."

"First, it's not Caitlin Snow. Second, I haven't exactly gotten her on board with the group yet. Third, don't call me incompetent again. And also: shut up."

"Touchy tonight, aren't we?"

"I said SHUT UP!" I said before using my powers to throw her into a wall. She left a human shaped crater in the wall but to my surprise she mostly shrugged it off. However her knees almost buckled when her feet touched the floor.

"...That is the one and only time you will touch me for the rest of this 'partnership'." Sapphire muttered before Roulette opened the door.

"Star, honey! How are y- what happened to the wall?" Roulette said.

"A bit of a heated confrontation but I think everyone has everything out of their systems now." I said with a glare.

"...Just show me to the damn room, Roulette." Sapphire said before the two of them walked out of the room. Afterwards it was just me and Mercy.

"What're you still doing here?"

"When did you get your panties in a twist?" Mercy asked.

"Are you seriously asking me that?"

"Look, I get it, you're stressed. You're running a company without knowing the first thing about it and doing the same with a secret villain organization. But if you're gonna let the stress get to you this quickly, you might as well call it quits now... but I don't want you to quit and I... Ugh! Just here!" Mercy said before opening a drawer in my desk and pulling out an odd looking face mask. It was illuminated with a green light from two shards of kryptonite on the opposite sides of the mask. "Put this on!" She said as she started to walk away.

"...Why?" I asked before she pulled out a tommy gun from behind a potted plant.

"Because we're going out."