Chapter 25

“Hey, you’ve reached Kate! I’m busy right now but --” The voicemail cut off as Jordan pressed the end call for the fifth time, his head dropping in heavy guilt as he clutched his phone.

All night he had been trying to call Kate and apologise, bombarding her phone with text messages and voicemails and missed calls. After Kate and her friends left the club, Jordan and the rest of them left soon after, not wanting to be eyed by nosy drunken people already talking about them and gossiping.

 Sitting on the edge of his bed, knee shaking up and down in agitation, he heard a whine and the soft pitter patter of Odin’s paws coming up to him, the doberman’s head resting against his knee and looking at his human as if sensing that he was hurt and wanted to offer comfort.

“I fucked up, buddy..Kate found out about the bet..” Jordan sighed, his voice strained and raspy.

At the mention of Kate’s name Odin perked up, moving away for a brief moment before going back to him with the little chew toy Kate had bought him and put it on the bed beside Jordan.

“Sorry, bud, you’re not gonna see Kate for a while. Or maybe ever again cause I - I did something really bad..”

Putting his head in his hands, he tugged at the roots of his hair in frustration. He didn’t know whether he should be angry at his friends for talking about the bet back at the club, at the bet itself, or at himself for accepting the bet in the first place.

Truthfully Jordan had forgotten about the bet and he thought his friends did too, until Kim drunkenly brought it up and in their drunken stupor, the four of them completely forgot they weren’t at the bar by themselves and ended up having someone hear their conversation.

 It had happened months ago, a few weeks before the semester even began and way before Jordan even talked to Kate for the first time ever and found out she had broken up with her boyfriend.

Turning to his phone once more, Jordan pulled up Kate’s number and tried to call for the sixth time, and for the sixth time again he was sent to voicemail.

 “Kate, I’m sorry. I know I fucked up, but I didn’t mean to hurt you. I understand that you’re mad, you have all the right to be. But please, Kate, talk to me..” Jordan’s voice cracked as his lips quivered and he balled his fist against his knee to keep his voice in control, “I’m sorry. I’m really sorry, Kate. Just let me explain, please…”

The voicemail was sent and he exhaled shakily, putting his face back in his hands and praying to every god possible for Kate to hear him out.

-A few weeks before the semester started-

“Okay we get it dude, you’ve got a girlfriend. Now please shut up!” Laughed Luke who faked a gag, his eyes focused on the tv that showed a game of mario Kart.

Kim, who sat on the other end of the couch that Luke hogged by laying down, scoffed with a roll of his eyes, “Shut up! Y’all have been so smug about your girlfriends and whatever while I’ve been single and you didn’t hear a peep from me. Now that I’ve got my baby I get to boast about my girl! It’s my turn now!”

“Let the guy have his fun.” Jordan snickered, sitting on the love seat on the left of the couch watching the two play, “We all know Kim’s just gonna come crying to us once they break up in like two months.”

“Oi atleast I got balls to ask my crush out!” Kim huffed, shooting Jordan a quick glare, “How ‘bout you, huh? When’re you gonna ask that Katey girl out, J?”

“He’s hit you right where it hurts, mate.” Tom laughed along with Luke, tipping his bottle of beer at Jordan who blushed.

“Her name’s Kate, idiot. And she’s got a boyfriend, I’m not gonna ask her out when she isn’t even single.”