Evading Death

Kenji let out a piercing scream of terror as the raptor charged. She latched onto the bars separating Kenji from her, snarling viciously.

"Kenji!" I screamed.

He began to run, the adrenaline pushing him to escape this nightmare. He stopped by the door that led out of where he was, pounding on it and hurriedly yelling at us to open it. I glanced at the others; they were immobile, petrified, staring at the unfolding horror.

"Come on!"

Darius and Brooklynn snapped out of their trance and turned wide-eyed at me. Then, noticing a control box with the colours red, amber, and green, I ran over. They followed behind me.

"Which one do we press?" Brooklynn asked, her hand hovering over the buttons. The raptor made a clicking noise, raising her head with a sound that shattered my eardrums.

"Dah! Open the gate!" Kenji shrieked exasperatingly.

Brooklynn hastily slammed her hand down on one amber button, a blaring alarm going off with bright red lights that blinded us. We then heard a creaking noise coming from the bars of the enclosure. I peered over the platform's edge, and what I saw would never leave my mind: the gate separating Kenji from death began to open.

Millions of questions I never thought I'd ask flashed through my mind as I felt my legs weaken, my body feeling like it might drop. I tightened my grip on the rails to keep myself standing, but I couldn't stop thinking the worst.

Kenji might die. No, he's going to die; that raptor would eat him alive. Why did we leave camp? We would be safe in our dorms, but no. We left, and it's all our fault and, and... WHAT DO WE DO!?

"Oh please, let me out. Come on!" Kenji screamed, his pupils dilating as three other raptors darted out of the bushes, standing behind the blue one in an eerie formation.

Darius then began to kick hard at a yellow pipe that snaked around the interior of the enclosure. It eventually broke from the impact, and a cloud of white steam was released, covering the now confused raptors who took a few steps back. Darius then jumped into the enclosure, landing hard on the ground.

"Darius! What are you doing!?" I asked shrilly.

What on Earth was happening right now!? This is all my fault; I should have found some way to tell Dave and Roxie when they decided to come here. Kenji and Darius will die, and this summer camp is wrong!

"Dude! Please tell me you have a plan!" Kenji exclaimed, staring at Darius. Darius motioned for Kenji to move away from the gate and stand beside him.

"Let's move! The steam should keep them busy!" he said. Then, finally, the thick cloud of steam began to clear.

"No, no, no!" I cried, clutching my hair as tears formed in my eyes. Brooklynn was still messing around with the buttons, trying desperately to find the right one.

"Oh, crud," Darius muttered, his eyes wide.

"Brooklynn, we have to do something. We don't even know which button works," I screamed.

She ran over so we could figure out how to fix this monstrosity of a scene but tripped, crashing into me. I was shoved over the railing, screaming so loudly I hurt my ears. I landed in a heap of pain on the ground between Darius and the raptors.

"Kiara!" they all exclaimed as I raised my head, everything appearing a swirling mess of blurred colours.

"I'm fine," I winced, a sharp jolt shooting through me from my side. The raptors in front of me snarled, and the blue before being pulled further back by Kenji.