Ben

Everyone was staring at the floor, no one daring to reply. Sammy watched us closely. Her sweet smile had vanished; a disheartened frown splattered across her face instead.

"I mean... doesn't it usually take more than a few days to make friends with somebody?" Brooklynn finally said in a hushed voice.

"We were thrown together at random. We have nothing in common," Yasmina said bluntly.

Sammy shook her head. "That's not true! We've been through more together than most friends have in a lifetime!"

"And now that it's over, what are the odds will ever see each other again?" Ben muttered, softly patting Bumpy's head with downturned eyes.

We delved into more silence. Looking at the others, especially Sammy felt too awkward, so I followed my brother's lead and stared out the window. A few dark clouds had gathered in the sky, and no stars existed. After a few minutes, the speakers buzzed.

"Coming up on the right, you'll see our world-renowned 18-hole dinosaur-themed golf course. It's one of the many wonders that makes this place so Jurassic!"

Brooklynn shook her head and chuckled. "What does that even mean?"

"I thought I knew..." Darius said softly. "My whole life, I had this idea of Jurassic World. My dad used to say this place was 'all-osaurus and a bag of chips!' He was so corny..." He crossed his arms and looked to the floor.

"So your dad is?..." Ben stopped himself. The silence spoke louder than any words could.

"I'm sorry, Darius," Sammy said before smacking her forehead. "Sorry? Nice one, Sammy, you ding-dong! As if sorry could begin to–"

"–No, it's ok," Darius interjected.

"Hey! At least your dad never saw what a dumpster fire this place turned out to be, huh?" Kenji said. He winced after Yasmina harshly thumped his head. I frowned at him, shaking my head. "Ow! I meant that it's cool that Darius and his dad were so close. I could count on one hand the number of times my dad and I have done well anything!"

"Kenji, that's just really sad," Sammy said blankly.

"Yeah... Did I mention I have a bowling alley?" Kenji said.

I coughed, smiling at him with one eyebrow raised. "Our bowling alley." Kenji rolled his eyes and stared

"Dang it!" Ben exclaimed. We all looked at him. "Come on, it's gotta be here somewhere! Bumpy stepped in something icky, and I'm low on sanitiser. It's fine; I can just make some more."

"Ben, why are you here?" Kenji asked, pointing the flashlight at Ben's face while he stared at him scrutinisingly.

"What he means is, well: You're scared of dinosaurs and the outdoors, and sometimes the indoors... and germs..." Darius quietened.

"And whipped cream for some reason?" Sammy added.

"The way it moves," Ben shuddered in disgust before stroking Bumpy.

"Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. What's the deal?" Kenji went on.

Ben's face darkened. "My mum works for Mr Masrani. She got me into camp. 'Said would be "a great way to face my fears..." It's been a nightmare! I'm sick of being scared all the time! And of running, and of almost getting eaten, and... and holding everyone back... I just can't do... this."

His harsh expression softened when Bumpy pushed her head against Ben's leg. "But it's not all bad. If I hadn't come, I would have never met–"

Ben couldn't finish his sentence as the monorail rocked violently. I fell to the ground, the others got tossed around, and I looked around, confused. What happened?