Bumpy

I held onto Darius's arm for support while we walked. Brooklynn shoved Sammy as she passed her, glaring. I hoped both would make up and get over the 'phone theft' incident. Instead, Yasmina came up to Sammy with a reassuring smile.

"Don't let Brooklynn upset you. She's just being... Brooklynn," she said, resting her hand on Sammy's arm. Sammy then began to smile.

I turned away from them and gasped at what I saw. There was a broken gyrosphere, the glass completely smashed through with claw marks and an ankylosaurus. It was on its side, its head hanging limply.

"The Indominus must have been here," I said, stepping towards the ankylosaur. I rested my hand on its chest, but I felt no pulse. It was dead.

"Predators don't kill prey, then leave without killing. This isn't right," Darius told us, looking bewildered.

"She seems to be killing for the fun of it. Killing for sport," I replied, frowning.

Suddenly, a loud bellow found its way through the tall grass. I yelped, tripping on a rock in surprise. Everyone ran around for a hiding place, crouching behind the gyrosphere or hiding in the grass. I stood up and looked around before stepping back as the growl returned.

Someone grabbed me behind the gyrosphere, slapping their hand over my mouth. I glanced over, and it was Ben. I heard fast-paced footsteps, and my eyes widened. Was it the Indominus?

Out of the tall grass leapt a baby ankylosaur. I squealed, ready to pet the adorable herbivore, when I was shoved into the gyrosphere. It was Ben again. He ran to the ankylosaur and engulfed her in a hug.

"Bumpy!" Ben exclaimed as he crouched down beside the ankylosaur, Bumpy. I walked over to Bumpy and softly patted her head. She mewled, rubbing against my hand with the cutest smile.

"That thing is drooly and smelly. How would you even know if that is the same dinosaur?" Kenji said, crossing his arms.

"Her big head bump. Dr Wu said she's asymmetrical, but he's wrong that it's bad. And so what if she is asymmetrical? There's nothing wrong with being different or bumpy." He frowned. "Or getting tired after reading an overly thrilling book! And maybe, if her parents had listed to her, she wouldn't have come here and gotten attacked!"

I tilted my head to the side, peering at him curiously. "Who are we talking about now?"

"It feels like we are not still talking about the same dinosaur," Yasmina said.

"Look, as fun as this reunion is, shouldn't we keep moving south?" Kenji asked, pointing to where we needed to walk.

"I'm not spending another hour walking through the jungle, hoping we don't run into the Indominus", Brooklynn exclaimed angrily. We all nodded, but Brooklynn turned to me incredulously.

"What are you nodding for? Darius carried your ass all the way here!" she said.

"Well, yeah. Having a killer dino cut your leg doesn't make walking that easy," I replied, raising my eyebrow.

"Ignoring that," Yaz said, rolling her eyes.

"We need a new plan," Sammy said.

Kenji rolled his eyes. "Uh, yeah, we obviously need a new plan. So, I had Darius and Kiara figure out a new one." He smirked and walked over to us, resting his arms on my shoulder.

"Lay it on us, guys!" Kenji exclaimed, softly punching Darius' arm and grinning at us expectantly.

"Ok, so we need to find somewhere safe close by. If camp is that way, and the park is that way... Isn't Dr Wu's field genetics lab near here?" Darius looked around.