37❦

37

❦𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮❦

We didn't hear anything from Isaiah that night. So when morning came without a word I was starting to get worried.

But then Blake knocked on my door telling me Isaiah called, he was on the way over as we spoke.

"Did he sound ok?" I bite my lip nervously.

"I don't know. He sounded really tired, that's for sure." Blake says as he hands me a plate of food.

Even though I've gotten back on track with my eating, Blake hasn't lost the habit of making me breakfast.

It's something I used to do before I became a drug dealer, and when I stopped eating he quickly took it up and hasn't stopped.

Geez, I still can't believe I was a drug dealer for a few weeks.

Never thought I'd be able to say that sentence.

I'm not sure if Blake enjoys making breakfast, or if he's just scared that if he doesn't I won't eat. He's great at making breakfast foods, other than smoothies anyway. Never let that man near a blender, you might lose your whole house.

A knock at the door has my heart racing, I try not to think of the many ways that this could go.

"Go sit at the island, I'll bring him in." Blake says, no room for argument. I nod my head, both hands on the plate full of waffles and walk to the kitchen.

"Hey." Isaiah's voice floats in from outside.

"Hey man. How're you doing?" Blake asks carefully.

"I'm ok. Is Rose here? I wanted to talk with the both of you." I don't like the way his voice wavers.

My heart clenches at the thought of him being hurt over something I'm involved in.

"Yeah, she's in the kitchen. She hasn't eaten breakfast yet." I hear the warning in his voice telling Isaiah I need to eat and he better not ruin that.

"Ok." I hear the front door close and footsteps closing in. I quickly shove a bite of waffle in my mouth. I know the look Blake will give me if he comes back and I haven't touched the food.

I try not to make him worry over me, but I'm either really bad at it or he's someone who gets worried easily. Probably a little of both.

"Hi." I smile at Isaiah when I see him walk into the room.

"I'm so sorry." He says, shaking his head. I hug my knees to my chest when I see the pain in his eyes. He looks like he's been crying, the bags under his eyes indicate he didn't get any sleep either.

"I'm sorry too." I can feel his heartbreak, it seeps into my soul and covers it in sorrow.

"She was always so nice to everyone, or at least I thought. But when I pulled her away last night her true colors showed. God, she said so many nasty things and I hate her for it, but breaking it off still hurts." His voice trembles, hands gripped together trying to stop them from shaking.

"I'm really sorry, Rose. I thought I could trust her and I told her things in confidence. She was always so curious about why we never wanted to leave you alone at the house so I told her. I know I shouldn't have and I'm not trying to make excuses, but I never thought she would use it against you like that." His words bring tears to my eyes.

The way he looks at me, full of despair, his body slouched, it pushes the tears out of my eyes and down my cheeks. I'm out of my seat as fast as I can, running over to him. I wrap my arms around him.