[22]

"Tía?" I whispered, and Lana looked up from her sewing. "What if she never comes back?" 

Lana turned sad and sighed. "Mi sobrina, you need to accept that she is gone. Her family is trying to move on, so should you," she told me, and I glared at her.

"Well, her family wasn't as close to her! They're all putting on masks of fake grief!" I yelled, and Lana tried to speak but was interrupted by the door being pushed open.

"Pick yourself up, Mija. You are not missing this lunch!" Sierra said in her loud and harsh voice. 

"Don't you think it'll be a little awkward to have lunch with my current family discussing my custody," I sassed as she walked me out the door.

"You are my daughter, Mija. And now that I am capable of taking care of you, I would like to have the opportunity to raise you myself back in Tampa," she replied, not fazed by my comments. We got in her silky white Mercedes, and she took off down the road. As we passed by the trees, I caught a glimpse of the Chateau. I forced myself to look away and played with my fingers.

As we arrived at Island Inn, where we would be meeting my family for lunch, I noticed everyone staring at me. Being the best friend to a supposed murderer and the girl who died with him got you a few disgusted glances from Kooks. Once I saw Topper and my parents sat at a table, I held my breath, getting prepared for what was to happen.

"Hello, Cynthia," Sierra greeted with a smile, shaking all three of their hands.

"Sierra," my mother replied. We sat down, me next to Topper and Sierra.

"So why did you want to have lunch with us today?" My father asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well, we might as well get straight to the point," Sierra chuckled under her breath. "I'd like to raise my daughter back in her birthplace Tampa, Florida."

Topper perked up beside me, and both my parents furrowed their eyebrows. "Why would you wish to do that? She will be with you not long after you try to take custody," my father argued.

"I will win custody for my own daughter, Zachery," Sierra snapped, and I bit my tongue.

"You know, I think you should just hold off on the court stuff for now and wait until Elle is in a better state," Topper cut in. 

"Look, she's over her friend's deaths, alright? I think I know what is right for my own blood," Sierra sneered; her eyes looked menacing and were specifically looking towards Topper.

"Sierra, you have got to be reasonable here. It has only been a few weeks since Sarah died and —"

"And they got what was coming to them, and it saved them the expense of a trial for that murderer."

"Sierra—" I tried to speak up.

"I'm just saying John B's going to hell for what he did to Sheriff Peterkin."

I heard a crash of an ice cube go into Topper's glass of water and looked up to see JJ. I was too worried about my family to remember he worked here. I knew he heard everything Sierra had said, and he was trying to hold back his words of argument.

"Guys, they're still investigating," Topper corrected, noticing JJ's tense stature as well.

"Yeah, I don't know why. It's obvious who did it."

"Shut up," JJ's voice said as he was about to walk away.

"Listen —"

"Shut up, Top!" JJ shouted, and a few heads turned our way.

"JJ, just walk away. It's not the time," Topper begged.

"I don't think we were talking to you, mongolo," Sierra spat, and my eyes widened.

"Mother!"

JJ grabbed Topper's half-filled glass and a knife. He clinked them together, gathering everyone's attention. "Can I have everybody's attention, please? I have a little announcement to make! My best friend, John B, did not kill Sheriff Peterkin! Rafe Cameron killed and shot the sheriff in cold blood! That's what happened."

Sierra scoffed. "Wow."

"Is that so hard for you to believe?"

"It is actually hard for me to believe because it's always the rich folks' fault. It's never dirty pieces of trash like you," Sierra said, getting in JJ's face who was scowling. He was trying to restrain from hitting a woman, but his temper got the best of him.

He splashed the large chalice of water across Sierra's face, who gasped, her makeup began running down her face. Topper and I quickly stood up as we thought Sierra would fight back. But she never did.

She only laughed and walked up to JJ. She grabbed the collar of his shirt and hissed, "nice play, boy." 

"Get your hands off of him," I barked, slapping Sierra's hands away. To my surprise, she sat back down and waited patiently for everyone to return to the table and continue our conversation.

"JJ," a man yelled, and JJ looked away from Sierra and walked over to the owner of the resort.

"Yeah, I know, Raz. I know. I'm fired," JJ said, throwing his apron at the owner. As he stomped outside, I was debating if I should go after him. But what good would that do? So I sat back down and listened to the rest of my family's conversation.

~:*:~

Today was the first day of school, and usually, Topper and I would pick Sarah up at her house, and we would arrive at school together, but this morning there was no one in the back seat asking us about future school year plans. The drive there was silent, and as we pulled up to the Kook Academy, I envied going to Kildare High School instead. Now I had no one to walk to class with or sit with at lunch.

Now that Sarah was gone, the only person still keeping me under Kook staus was Topper. And everyone knew he was turning soft. When we got out of Topper's car, all stares were on us. Topper took hold of my hand and led me across the courtyard. We were almost inside when we saw a collection of flowers, pictures, and gifts in a pile at the bottom of the sign saying in big metal letters "Redfield Academy for the Known". 

As I looked closer, I saw one of the pictures to be of Sarah and me. All the pictures, in fact, were of Sarah and her many friends, some just by herself. Most of the flowers were daisies, her favorite flower, and the gifts were small trinkets that people had that belonged to her. Many bracelets and jewelry were layed across the grass.

I couldn't stop staring at the pictures of Sarah until Topper tapped my shoulder, bringing me back down to Earth. He put his arm around my shoulder and led me inside.

~:*:~

I was sitting in Biology, staring at the wall, not paying any attention to the teacher, when a buzz went through the room. Everyone glanced around the room to see who's phone it was. It wasn't until I saw my phone light up that I realize it was mine. "All phones should be silenced!" the teacher scolded and turned back towards the board. 

I hid my phone out of sight under my desk and saw I had gotten a text from an unknown number. I cautious opened it and what I saw caused my mouth to fall open, and tears clouded my eyes. There they were, in a picture texted to me. John B was kissing Sarah's hand, who seemed to be laughing. Without a second thought, not even grabbing my backpack behind me, I ran out of the classroom.

I heard the teacher yell as I slammed the door, "Mr. Thornton, sit down!"

They were alive. My best friends were alive. She was alive.