2

Zalia woke up with a huge headache. Her face was swollen and her body was aching all over. It was dark, meaning she had been unconscious for a few hours. Zalia could hear the grounders telling her to stand up, but their voices seemed far away. She felt them pull her up to her feet and she looked around feeling dizzy. For what she could see, they were on the main trail but far from where she last remembered. She went to check her location on her small computer screen that was always attached to her arm and saw that she was tied by her wrists to the back of a horse. The grounders have taken off her suit, so she was now on her grey t-shirt and her black cargo pants. The grounder on the horse started moving forward and she was forced to walk behind it. "Strech au!" (Walk!) She felt a grounder pushing her harshly and she felt a sharp pain on her right thigh once she took a step. 'The arrow', Zalia thought. She looked down and indeed the arrow was still poking out through her thigh that was now soaked in blood. They were most likely taking her to Polis, so she knew the trip was gonna be a long one. She didn't know how she was going to make it with her leg in such state. This was definitely not the plan.

A few hours of pain later, Zalia could already see the top of the Polis tower creeping up through the top of the trees. She knew there were still a few miles away, so they would most likely get there at dawn. Once they walked closer to the gates of the capital city of Polis, she could see people coming closer to the gates, waiting for her. But not in a good way, she knew that already. The leader of the Onagraun (Underground) was not welcome here. Once Zalia walked through the gates, the people got closer and started hitting her while they cheered on the victory. She felt a punch to her stomach while someone hit her on the back. This caused her to fall to the floor all while the horse kept moving, making her an easier target for people's kicks. She was sure the arrow had broken in the process because of the pain she felt on her thigh after she fell.

"EM PLENI!" (ENOUGH!) someone yelled. Zalia couldn't hear clearly who it was since her ears were ringing for some reason. But by the people's reaction, she knew that it had been Lexa, the Commander of the grounders. Zalia was still on the floor when two guards pulled her up and dragged her towards the tower. Zalia looked up the huge tower and couldn't help but be amazed. That tower was a symbol of hope for the grounders, a symbol of power.

The Commander walked in through the main doors and got in the elevator with her guards while some other guards checked her again, making sure Zalia didn't have any weapons on her. The sun was rising, so Zalia could see a lot better now. She had never been inside the tower, but everything that she has heard about the Commander's tower was true. The old grey walls reflected how much time that building has been standing. It showed that a nuclear apocalypse indeed had happened. There was no glass on the windows and it looked abandoned. But it still was the most amazing structure Zalia has ever seen with her own eyes since it was the only building standing. Zalia wondered how the elevator worked since she hasn't seen any solar panels on the tower like they had in the roof of the underground. But her doubts were cleared when she saw two grounders pushing on a big wheel that made the elevator go up and down.

Once the guards were sure she was clean, they dragged her to the elevator when it came down again. When they reached the top floor, the guards opened the elevator doors and dragged her to some double doors. Guards on the inside pulled them open to reveal the Commander sitting down on her throne, made out of tree branches and swords, while Gustus and General Anya stood beside her. Zalia found herself staring at the young Commander because of how powerful she looked with her black coat and her red cape hanging from her side. Out of habit, Zalia looked around the room, taking mental notes of how many guards were there (eight), and what kind of weapons they had. The whole room was decorated with candles, behind the throne you could see some white and red translucent curtains that seemed to be hiding a huge balcony. In front of the throne, there was a long red carpet that made you focus solely on the throne. The guards let go of Zalia, making her fall on her knees in front of the Commander. Zalia bit her lip, trying not to show how much her thigh was hurting. Zalia took a breath and raised her head to look at the Commander with a neutral expression. She wasn't gonna let Lexa see her pain or her fear.

Lexa had the same guarded expression as she studied the woman kneeling before her. She noticed that the woman had icy blue eyes. One of them was shut because of the swelling, but she still managed to look at Lexa with determination. By all the cuts and bruises that were visible to her, the Commander knew she must be trying to hide her pain. Lexa raised her eyebrow as she spoke "The underground leader. I've been waiting a long time for this moment." Zalia looks down and the Commander stands up and walks closer to her. "What is your name?" Zalia stays silent as she looks down. She was in a very complicated situation and was thinking of a strategy. She could stay silent the whole time, but that would make the Commander and the grounders angrier. She had to make them think she was more useful than just a criminal who was there for a trial. Maybe she should- "I said.." Zalia's thoughts were interrupted when she felt Lexa's sword tilting her head up as she pressed it against her neck just enough to draw a bit of blood out of her. "What is your name?" Zalia looked up at her and spoke. "Zalia Smith, Heda," (Commander) the Commander was hiding well her surprise as she heard that last word. She has been used to hearing it from her people for these past years. At first, it was a bit weird for her, but after she won the conclave and was ascended to Commander, she has had time to get used to it. But the underground people were never involved with the clans, they are not part of the coalition, and they have committed many crimes against most of the clans. Why does her leader suddenly calls her Heda? She expected her to be more hostile for all the stories she has heard about the masked underground leader.  "Why do you call me Heda? Your people are not part of the coalition," the Commander put her sword down as she waited for a response. Zalia kept her eyes on the Commander as she spoke. "This was not the way I was planning on introducing myself. I was going to assist to the meeting with the clan leaders in a few months here in Polis. I intended to share key information with you then."

"What kind of information?" the Commander asks while she walks around Zalia. "Most of the clans are planning to break the coalition by starting wars with each other. For example, Azgeda (Ice Nation) has its Commander. Ontari. She's a nightblood raised by Queen Nia," Zalia says while she watches the Commander sit back down on her throne.

For the grounders, nightbloods were special. Since only people with black blood can become Commanders. When the nightbloods reach 5 years of age, they are sent to Polis for training. By Azgeda having their nightblood, they're breaking the laws of the coalition.

"Why should I believe you?" the Commander plays with her knife out of habit while she looks at Zalia.  "Because I can prove it to you, Heda," Zalia said. The Commander was about to speak up when the slam of the door interrupted her as one of the guards walks inside the room. He seemed to be in a rush. He bows to the Commander and speaks up "My apologies, Heda. But one of the things we took from the prisoner is.. talking.. it says it wants to speak to you, Heda. It says they have Indra.". The Commander looked over to Zalia, with confusion and anger written all over her face. "That's a radio. It's a way of communication," Zalia said. The Commander looks over to her guard and nods "Bring it over.".

————-

🥽🥽🥽🥽