13

"Heda, there's something you have to see." Said Titus once he walked in the throne room. Lexa was having a routine meeting with the clan ambassadors. They were trying to fix the relationships between each clan, coming to agreements and setting boundaries. But all that had to wait once she receive the news.

One of the Trikru warriors walked in holding a couple of bags hanging from his shoulders. He knelt in front of Lexa and spoke up. "Heda.. the mountain has fallen." He looks up at her and she looks at him confused. "What are you talking about?" He grabs the bags and empties them in front of her. Once he does, three human heads fall to the floor. One of the heads was Carl Emerson's, the man Lexa met outside the mountain a few nights before. The second one was Dante Wallace's, the leader of the Mountain, and the third one was Dr. Tsing's, the doctor that conducted the blood transfusions and the bone marrow extractions.

At this the ambassadors gasped in surprise. How was this possible? "Who did this?" One of the ambassadors asked. But neither Lexa or the warrior answered. Lexa already had an idea of who could've done that. "One of our hunters was hunting near the mountain limit and he heard a lot of noise. The noise that the guns from the mountain make. He decided to investigate and from a tree he was able to see more than 20 undergrounders attacking the mountain. After a while the underground leader walked out the mountain covered in blood. He says that she and a few more underground warriors walked out dripping blood and holding the heads. Somehow they managed to see him. Even in that darkness and from so far away. She took off her helmet and told him to bring you this  along with the heads." The warrior hands her a note. She opens it up and in their language it read "The mountain belongs to The Underground. - CZS"

*******

Back at the Underground Zalia had used the few weeks after the attack on the mountain to explain to her people what have happened (without mentioning Lexa's treason) and to move some of her people to the mountain after the compound had been cleaned and fixed. The medical facility was far bigger in the mountain, so most of the medical staff moved over there and the mechanics and engineers started making improvements to the tech in the compound. The plan was to get the mountain as tech advanced as the underground, so they could have more space. The whole territory around the mountain was also part of the underground now, which meant the kids could finally play outside without any worry.

Zalia had set up patrols around the territory, making sure no grounder would get close. This was their land now. A few days ago a grounder tried to cross the border and Zalia's warrior shot warning shot but the grounder ignored it so he shot him again, this time to kill. That were Zalia's orders. "That will teach them." Zalia said to Osias once he questioned her about it.

Osias had noticed how distant and cold Zalia had became after that night at the mountain. He tried to say something but Marian stopped him. Apparently she had tried already.

Zalia had been training a lot these past weeks. She was finally back into the physical state she had been before she got captured, but now she was stronger and faster. She has also been training outside with her warriors. They were loving the change in scenery and the freedom of going outside. Everyone in the underground seemed to be happy. Everyone but Zalia. Her people were noticeably excited of being able to go outside and to have more space now in the mountain. But Zalia was distant. Her people weren't seeing her as much and she spent her time training and studying the mountain, seeing how else they could use it for good, what else they could do to make it better and safer.

Zalia wasn't dismissing the possibility of the grounders attacking at some point. Of course she hope they didn't, she wanted peace. But she knew that maybe the grounders would attack out of fear. They had a lot more numbers than the underground. The underground would win by a landslide but that's not what Zalia wanted. She hoped Lexa would just keep her people in check, away from the underground.