14

"Dear people of the Underground. The day we've been waiting for is near. We have began negotiations with the other clans to join them in the coalition. I will be traveling with the leadership of the Underground to Polis to continue the negotiations. Our children's children will talk about this time we're living in, peace will prevail." —— Zalia's message could be heard in the background while Gunner and his men talked between each other in the cells. "Ha! I won!" One of the guys exclaimed while the other groaned. Gunner threw his cards on the table and rubbed his face in frustration. "You have to be cheating Daniel. Again?" It had been months and they were still waiting on sentence. They were sure Zalia was just trying to torture them by thinking she had forgotten about them. She was going to leave soon to negotiate in Polis and that meant they were still gonna spend who knows how many more days in the cells. He thought daily about his family, they weren't allowed any visitors but a few of the guards would bend the rules and allow a short visit whenever they knew the Captain was busy.

One of the guards walked over and stood in front of their cell, turning his back towards them. "Sir.. we're gonna get you out today. Get ready." He whispered. Gunner stood up and walked closer to the cell door, holding on to the bars. They could hear footsteps down the corridor and the door towards the cells buzzed, a few more guards walking in. The guard that was in front their cell took out his key card and swiped it to open the cell door.

Gunner's family, along with the families of the men that were loyal to him, were waiting in a cave just outside of the Underground and mountain area. Some of the guards have explained to them the plan of getting out Gunner and his team. Most of the Underground was loyal to Zalia, but there were still people that believed that the Underground was superior to the grounders. They believed that joining the coalition was a mistake. Why follow a grounder leader when they could rule them all? And it makes sense. The Underground has all the equipment needed to take control over Polis and rule the grounders. But that would cause a great war that would end with the human race. Think about it... the grounders would not give in that easily. Even if they surrender they wouldn't be truly loyal to the Underground. Zalia knew this. She had thought about it. But she would remember her parents' teachings.

That was what she was thinking about right now, meditating in her room after she addressed her people. She was repeating in her mind what her father had told her before she started her training. "Zalia, our words alone don't define us, neither do our intentions... what defines us is the combination of our words, out intentions and our actions. Words are empty without action. What we do and why we do it will speak more than our words." She knew her purpose. She was very clear of what she had to do. She was putting her people before her. Like she always did.

That's why she had to go to Polis, swallow her pride and kneel before Lexa to join the coalition. Of course she was angry at her. Of course all she wanted was to take Polis and make the grounders see how powerful the Underground is. But she had to put her people and the human race first. A war is not what they needed. They needed peace. And that could only be achieved by her kneeling in front of a traitor. That's what she was gonna do. No matter if the grounders saw it as weakness. Zalia knew this was the biggest challenge she was gonna face so far, to give up control and to now accept Lexa as her leader.

******

"We're almost there, Sir. The cave is 2km north. Your family is waiting for you there." The deserters were guiding Gunner and his men to the cave where their families were. The plan had worked, the Underground hadn't noticed their absence yet and they managed to avoid the patrols while they flee north. The goal was to reach the dead zone past the Trikru limit. They knew it was gonna be a tough journey, it would take them weeks to actually get to a safe place. But it was worth it. They were gonna find a new home.