12

Surprise surprise! Longer chapter ahead.

———

Once the Captain walked out the elevator into the main hall, T was waiting for her with her tablet. "What are your orders, Captain?" T asked while she walked beside Zalia. By Zalia's demeanor she knew that right now Zalia wasn't her best friend, she was her Captain and she was furious. Zalia stayed silent for a few seconds while they walked towards the Command Center. She took a breath and spoke up. "I need you to get ready to turn off their security systems and find a way to get our teams inside," Zalia said to T and then she spoke through her comms. "Martin, get 20 bone marrow doses ready for when we infiltrate. You have an hour." Zalia and T got in the elevator to the Command Center and Zalia spoke through her comms once again. "Marian, Ben, Echo, and Oliver get your teams ready. We're infiltrating the mountain. I expect you in the Command Center in 10 minutes."

****

Zalia cleared her throat before nodding towards T, signaling she was ready. And suddenly the mic was on.
"My dear people of the Underground. The mountain people have acted against us. They have taken nine of us as captives. And that is why we are going to march against the mountain tonight. We will bring our people back home, and the mountain will fall. All warriors should report to their stations and every civilian needs to be in their respective room. A curfew is in place for the next 8 hours..." Zalia's voice could be heard through the speakers. She wasn't going to tell her people yet that the mountain also had the 42 undergrounders that were captured by the Rock People, that could complicate things.

The personnel in the Underground was following the protocol while she gave the announcement. The warriors were reporting to their superiors for the briefing, the artillery keepers were getting the weapons ready and the mechanics were preparing the bikes and the rovers.

"You didn't mention Heda's treason." Osias said to Zalia once they walked out the command center after the announcement. He stood next to her while they watched the people walking around. The guards were instructing people to go to their rooms and telling everybody to keep calm.

Zalia shook her head at Osias comment and spoke up. "Do you remember what happened when the Rock People took 42 of us? I wasn't even a teenager yet, but I remember the hatred that caused on our people towards the grounders. I don't want that to happen again."

Osias nodded in understanding. "What if the Commander-" Zalia put her hand up interrupting him. "We will talk about it if it happens." He nodded and stayed silent. Observing her. He knew Zalia was going through a stressful moment and he wished he could take it all away, but he knew all this came with the responsibility of being a leader. And a great leader that is. That made Osias proud. That he had raised these two women and that they have turned into powerful but compassionate leaders.

At the medical wing, the medical team was getting the bone marrow treatment ready, just like the Captain ordered. The volunteers were being treated with care, and the whole process was fast and without any pain. They were back in their rooms in no time.

About an hour later Zalia walked in the hangar, all the warriors stood in attention once she walked in. Marian walked in behind her, still looking pissed off. Once Marian found out Lexa had betrayed them, she couldn't contain her anger, which caused some strange looks from the undergrounders walking by. 

Marian walked over to her team to make sure they were ready, just like the other five teams. 

Zalia looked around and saw that her generals and their teams were all ready. She knew this was it. It was time. Hard decisions were ahead of her, but she had to trust herself. She'll knew what to do if a challenge presented in front of her. But the doubts were still there. She just made sure to shut them out for now. With one final look at her mentor and father figure Osias, she got back the confidence she needed. He subtly nodded her way, like silently telling her "You got this".